23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 23
16 October 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
This may be a "duh, of course!" for some people but it is new to me. Last week I wrote a mostly
misunderstood post about how the length of my anki review que was getting in the way of me studying new
words. My course I am taking requires me to learn about 40 words per day. However I found that I barely
have enough time to complete my entire review queue when I am doing 20-30 words per day, so I had
decided that if I want to use anki (and I do) I had to to limit myself to study 20 words per day to prevent my
review queue from getting too large. Obviously only learning half of the words I needed to learn was creating a
huge problem!

So this week I have setup anki to force me to study only the first 40 words FIRST, to the detriment of the
review queue. As result I have had to let my review
queue backlog grow out really large. But as a result it means, for this week, I have started to catch up on all
the words I need to
know, and so far there seem to be no hugely negative consequences of letting my review queue spin out of
control. I
will just review whatever I can when I have time.

Considering that I am already reading and listening to chinese content, the fact my entire anki queue is
not all getting reviewed, is looking like it might not be such a bad thing.

Anyway I just wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else in their progress as well. I will update again in a
few weeks with any conclusions I have regarding this newly found concept of ignoring the length of your
review queue, Especially given that I have the sort of personality who finds letting the queue grow out very
stressful (:

Edited by dongsen on 16 October 2011 at 2:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 23
16 October 2011 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
If you wait it out for long enough and then answer correctly, the word will get a much better rating and you'll soon have a lot of words that appear only after two weeks or a month even though you've seen them only two or three times. If you actually know them, of course. I think that's not a bad way to filter out the words one already knows, even though I'm too lazy to use anki.

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 23
16 October 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
If you wait it out for long enough and then answer correctly, the word will get a much better rating and you'll soon have a lot of words that appear only after two weeks or a month

But the problem is these words do eventually come back and will rain down like a ton of bricks when you have to wade through 500+ reviews in one sitting. The only thing I have seen that could combat this is deleting the words from the deck before they come up for review. I still think this aspect of Anki is a serious shortcoming; it simply doesn't scale well for large word counts.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5476 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 4 of 23
16 October 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
But the problem is these words do eventually come back and will rain
down like a ton of bricks when you have to wade through 500+ reviews in one sitting.
The only thing I have seen that could combat this is deleting the words from the deck
before they come up for review. I still think this aspect of Anki is a serious
shortcoming; it simply doesn't scale well for large word counts.

This is one of the main reasons I don't like using Anki. Right now I have to learn
around 30-40 words a day for the class that I'm in. That alone, for me, is a bit of a
daunting task, then add on the fact that there will be massive review sessions...it's
just not how I learn.

That said Anki also just doesn't work well for how I first learn a word in regards to
putting it into my short term memory.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 23
16 October 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
Bao wrote:
If you wait it out for long enough and then answer correctly, the word will get a much better rating and you'll soon have a lot of words that appear only after two weeks or a month

But the problem is these words do eventually come back and will rain down like a ton of bricks when you have to wade through 500+ reviews in one sitting. The only thing I have seen that could combat this is deleting the words from the deck before they come up for review. I still think this aspect of Anki is a serious shortcoming; it simply doesn't scale well for large word counts.

As I said, wait it out, or better: adjust the intervals until they work for you. Anki is a tool for reviewing, not for initial learning. It's only logical that when you start out, you have only few reviews scheduled, and when you keep on adding many new cards everyday the number of reviews will skyrocket. But if you choose to show your new cards first, and then the cards from the longest interval and set a limit to the time you use for reviews every day, the program offers you the cards you need to review most urgently and you can sort the wheat from the chaff because every card you answer correctly after it was due will end up with an even longer interval; and if your interval settings work, you won't run up too much of a backlog.
Oh, and you do need to take note of the words you fail and figure out why you failed them, of course. Failing after an interval that works for most words means that you didn't actually learn them from the start, that is, that the neural pathways weren't stabilized or were dismantled when you didn't use them. So you do need to find a way to actually learn that word, or the same will happen again. I didn't think of mentioning that because to me, it's a given.

Edited by Bao on 16 October 2011 at 10:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6229 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 6 of 23
17 October 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
How about making a new deck every now and then?

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5163 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 7 of 23
17 October 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki as a review tool and nothing more. At the end of the week I enter all my
learned words and review when I have time on the subway or waiting for friends. I can
understand how some words can easily be learned by just seeing the word and its English
translation (i.e. 海马 = Seahorse) but a really bad method for something like 应酬 =
Social intercourse.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 23
20 October 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
dongsen wrote:
My course I am taking requires me to learn about 40 words per day

That's a lot; how long are you expected to keep up that pace?

Anyway, here are my recommendations. Sorry if I repeat what some others have said.

Don't try to use anki to initially memorize the words; it's very inefficient. Use lists for 1-4 days in a row. After that

Method 1) Stick them in anki for about a month, then delete them. Hopefully it's like you said - you're getting enough
reinforcement through reading to make it work. You may not even need anki at all. To state the obvious, the more
reading you do, the less important anki is.

or

Method 2) When you forget a word, stick it in anki deck.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version