23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 9 of 23
21 October 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys for all the comments. It does help to re-enforce the point. Don't try to use anki to learn new
words, or if you do, don't try to use it in the traditional sense that anki is intended to be used (:
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 23
21 October 2011 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
If you really, really want to start with anki, Damien has developed several special ways of doing it, since it's a
popular complaint.I recommend going to the anki forum and posing the question. I doubt if any of them are as
good as lists, but you may prefer them.

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 11 of 23
21 October 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
I have been meaning to get around to researching this "lists" thing a bit more. Just been crazy busy with tests,
study, and exams lately.

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 12 of 23
21 October 2011 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
dongsen wrote:
My course I am taking requires me to learn about 40 words per
day

That's a lot; how long are you expected to keep up that pace?

Anyway, here are my recommendations. Sorry if I repeat what some others have said.

Don't try to use anki to initially memorize the words; it's very inefficient. Use lists for 1-4 days in a row. After
that....

Great tips, much appreciated. I am going to try and work out the lists thing. With regards to the number of
words per day, Its that many words per day for as long as I decide to continue completing the course. I think
the key is its designed for full time study not part time study. I have heard from some other students 6 months
of classes is enough to give you a reasonably good level of competence (ie ability to understand TV shows
and things like that).

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 23
21 October 2011 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
It will be very impressive if you can do this for 6 months. A couple of concerns. First, if you need to take a break on occasion to let things
settle in or just rest, do it and don't feel too bummed out about it. Happens to even the most diligent language learners. Second, try not to
let vocabulary grindage become too high of a fraction of your total study time. For an intense effort like this, 1/4 to 1/3 is probably optimal.
1/2 is too much. This is probably the most easily measured indicator of whether you're getting enough reading and other studies to make
all that vocabulary stick.

Regarding lists, you might want to read Iversen's posts on the matter. He's an amazing vocabulary list learner, although he hasn't done a
chinese character based language. Maybe he has a suggested method for Mandarin...not sure. But his general advice is great. I could tell you
how I do it if you like, but maybe you have a way that works better for you.

Lastly, could you tell us more about this course? Is it a real class, or a self-study program? What's it called, how does it work, etc. A
program that enables someone to understand TV in 6 months intrigues me.

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 23
23 October 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
tibbles wrote:
But the problem is these words do eventually come back and will rain
down like a ton of bricks when you have to wade through 500+ reviews in one sitting.
The only thing I have seen that could combat this is deleting the words from the deck
before they come up for review. I still think this aspect of Anki is a serious
shortcoming; it simply doesn't scale well for large word counts.

This is one of the main reasons I don't like using Anki. Right now I have to learn
around 30-40 words a day for the class that I'm in. That alone, for me, is a bit of a
daunting task, then add on the fact that there will be massive review sessions...it's
just not how I learn.

That said Anki also just doesn't work well for how I first learn a word in regards to
putting it into my short term memory.

There is no class in which you have to learn 30-40 words a day, unless it is for a full-time job that you have to learn that language and you can put ALL your time toward it. At that rate you would learn 2700-3600 words in a quarter, which is completely unrealistic for a westerner to learn a language like Chinese. You'd have a vocabulary in which you could probably read natural Chinese works in about a quarter and a half (assuming you could use those words, which you surely would not). There is nothing that will teach you that many words, not Anki, not anything. And it's not just you. No Westerner can do that, unless they've got Rainman skills.

This is one thing that annoys me (although I guess there might be many things, really. I'm easily annoyable these days). People put absolutely impossible expectations on something like Anki, and then complain about the program when it "doesn't work".

If it isn't working, it's because your mind, as anyone that's studied languages like Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc would fully expect, simply cannot absorb that many new words each day consistently. Unless you're Rainman, you're asking the impossible.

Edited by Sandman on 23 October 2011 at 11:35am

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4744 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 15 of 23
23 October 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Lastly, could you tell us more about this course? Is it a real class, or a self-study program? What's it called,
how does it work, etc. A
program that enables someone to understand TV in 6 months intrigues me.

I am studying "Full time" at the Fengjia University language centre in Taiwan. The pace you learn at appears
to differ somewhat depending on which teacher you have.

All teachers simply take you through the "Practical Audio Visual
chinese" book, and some teachers also create their own own additional material which both
re-enforces what the book is teaching but also introduces many new words. My teacher is creating extra
reading, question/and answer practice, and recordings to listen to.

I think the clash comes with the fact that she doesn't expect us to be using anki to learn words, instead she is
expecting that continual exposure to the words each and every day will help us remember them.

Two months ago I was at a point where i had done once daily classes on and off, chinesepod, etc. Coming to
taiwan I still could barely understand general conversation. Two months on, and I can now catch the gist of
much of what is being discussed all around me. Obviously I still have a long way to go but the 14 hours of
class time + probably 5-10 hours of out of class work is really really progressing things quite quickly. I guess
time will tell how successful it will be (:

I think one of the reasons I am having some trouble is that a good portion of the students are japanese/korean
so they have a a reasonable background of reading and writing a larger range of characters.

Edited by dongsen on 23 October 2011 at 11:33am

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 23
23 October 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
dongsen wrote:

I think one of the reasons I am having some trouble is that a good portion of the students are japanese/korean
so they have a a reasonable background of reading and writing a larger range of characters.

If there's any good reason for your feeling of being too slow, this is it. You're at a massive disadvantage from birth. Anki can help, but it is insufficient to close that sort of gap. Whatever methods you use, if you want to keep pace you'll probably have to work 2-3x as hard as they are.

A Chinese person trying to learn Spanish as quickly as an equally capable English person would be an endeavor in futility. If trying to compete against Japanese and Koreans, what you're trying to do is much, much harder. You have both language and "alphabet" related disadvantages to overcome.

Edited by Sandman on 23 October 2011 at 11:37am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version