Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Learn 2 Asian languages at the same time?

Tags: Asian Languages
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
KevinJCT
France
Joined 4984 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 9
30 October 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone this year I'm attending college and I chose to take a Korean Language
Major !!
However I have already done 1 year of Japanese before that !! I should focus on Korean
,but the problem is if I don't focus on Japanese I'll forget it ,and I don't want that
to happen !I've learnt most of the grammar ,I can remember about 1200 kanjis right
now(and I'm really proud of it.),I try to practice it everyday by reading manga in
Japanese and repeat the sentences out loud , listen to the news (but that's hard), read
news about my favorite idols (I know it's childish but it really helps me remember
kanji and learn some new ones)sing in Japanese. I can't stop it like that!
About Korean I know some grammar since it's similar to Japanese but it's a lot harder
! I'm watching dramas (i'm not very fan of those) listen carefully to what they say but
it's hard though
I wanted   to ask if learning both of them wasn't crazy ?is it efficient or
inefficient?
1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5360 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2

Message 2 of 9
30 October 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
It's not crazy at all, it is certainly doable, especially with Korean and Japanese. How
efficient it is I'm sure will ultimately be up to you.
Your knowledge of Japanese will help you with Korean a lot at the beginning, and there is
no reason that you cannot learn more Japanese even as you study Korean. If Korean is your
major, then you will have lots of time already dedicated to its study, which will enable
you to study Japanese in your 'free time'.

I find myself in a similar situation, majoring in Korean here in grad school while
studying Japanese on the side. It works out just fine; it's simply a matter of finding
the right balance and dedicating the right amount of time to each language.

Edited by Leurre on 30 October 2011 at 2:42pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 9
30 October 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
KevinJCT wrote:
Hello everyone this year I'm attending college and I chose to take a Korean Language
Major !!
However I have already done 1 year of Japanese before that !! I should focus on Korean
,but the problem is if I don't focus on Japanese I'll forget it ,and I don't want that
to happen !I've learnt most of the grammar ,I can remember about 1200 kanjis right
now(and I'm really proud of it.),I try to practice it everyday by reading manga in
Japanese and repeat the sentences out loud , listen to the news (but that's hard), read
news about my favorite idols (I know it's childish but it really helps me remember
kanji and learn some new ones)sing in Japanese. I can't stop it like that!
About Korean I know some grammar since it's similar to Japanese but it's a lot harder
! I'm watching dramas (i'm not very fan of those) listen carefully to what they say but
it's hard though
I wanted   to ask if learning both of them wasn't crazy ?is it efficient or
inefficient?

Why did you choose Korean? Why didn't you choose Japanese? Why are you watching dramas you don't like? Why are
you asking us whether it's efficient? Why do you use so many "!" and so few "."?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5117 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 4 of 9
30 October 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Generally speaking, I'd say that tackling simultanously two languages - no matter what
families they belong - isn't a very smart strategy unless you've already passed the
intermediate stage in at least one of them.
I don't mean to discourage you with my words, - I sincerely believe you're the only who
can say what your own limits are - but if I were you I'd rather focus on Japanese for the
moment. There will be plenty of time for Korean, no worries. If you cannot really resist
or you compulsorily have to add another language to your university schedule, well, make
sure that you pick an "easier" one (whatever "easier" means to you.)

All the best, I'm also a language learner in love with Japanese :)

Keep us posted!!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

KevinJCT
France
Joined 4984 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 9
30 October 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 

leosmith wrote:
Why did you choose Korean? Why didn't you choose Japanese? Why are you
watching dramas you don't like? Why are
you asking us whether it's efficient? Why do you use so many "!" and so few "."?

Sorry about using "!" I'm used to it that's why !

I chose Korean language because I'm really fond of Asian Culture for a long while now I
love its long history and I love East Asia (China, Taiwan,Korea and Japan) !
Why didn't I choose Japanese ? Well I forgot to mention it . Last year I already
studied it at college but it was so difficult to succeed... Actually in my college the
Japanese Major is the most taken(actually French people who graduated from high school
and wants to learn Japanese have a great passion for manga and J-pop and there's
nothing else that's interesting for them) so during exams teachers' grading is REALLY
REALLY harsh... they do that because they want those "fans of Japan" to quit Japanese
Major. Only to have the best students to stay .
Why did I quit ? It was because I wanted to study in Japan for 1 semester but selection
was harsh too , there were a lot of people who were better than me (Some have lived
over there, others are bilingual ) I wasn't that bad but still I could not challenge
them!In some classes the level of Japanese was too high , I mean they wanted us to
translate some texts (2nd semester ), even though most of us have only started some
months ago .Even if I was studying a lot ,I did not make it out... That's one bad
experience.
You might think I was also worshipping Manga or J'pop ,I wasn't ,I liked J-pop and
manga but not to the extent of not be interested in Japanese culture or reading Manga
in classes or talking about my favourite idols with my friends in class , I sincerely
love it,but it was too much pressure . But I'm happy to have learnt a lot in Japanese
Major.

About korean dramas it's not the fact that I don't like it , but some are really the
same (2 people who hate each other at first ,but end up loving each other and some time
get married)

Why did I ask you if it's efficient or not?
Because some say it's not good to learn 2 languages at the same time
Some Say there's no problem
I wanted to know if I learned 2 asian languages wasn't crazy for a Westerner?

Edited by KevinJCT on 30 October 2011 at 4:20pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6485 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 9
31 October 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Good answers, but I wish you'd work on your English punctuation a little. I agree with the other posters. It's
hard, but possible. Is the Korean course much easier than the Japanese course? I hope for your sake, it is.
Anyway, if you have a good start in Japanese, it's really just a matter of time management.

leosmith wrote:
IMO, your question is all about how much study time you have.

Total study time = time to maintain(and/or continue studying) L2 + time to learn L3

If you only need 30min/day to maintain L2, and you have a total of 3 hours study time at your disposal, then
you
will have 2.5 hrs/day to learn L3. That's enough time to make reasonable progress in most peoples' books.

If you need 1hr/day to maintain L2, and you have a total of 1.5 hours study time at your disposal, then you
will have
30min/day to learn L3. That's not enough time to make reasonable progress in most peoples' books.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 9
31 October 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
You never told us what your goal is.

There is no intrinsic reason not to study 2 languages at once, except that it will mean that each language will take longer to learn than they would if you only studied one.

A lot of people take a 3-year university degree and don't come out with a good enough knowledge of the language to claim to be fluent and comfortable in it, certainly not in an academic context, and even less so with Asian languages. So what is your goal with these languages?

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6060 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 8 of 9
31 October 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Is it the norm among language majors to study two? I've run into several people majoring in Chinese who, as part of their degree, study Japanese also.   I sometimes notice a little Chinese influence among these guys, but they seem to get to a pretty good level of reading comprehension, at least.

Yes, and nothing is more sad than to be a Korean language major who doesn't speak Korean. I have also met a few of these.   For your own sake, don't let this happen.

You remind me. I'm in a class now where almost everyone has lived in Japan and seems really fluent in Japanese, and I'm like, uh, uh. But when it comes to classwork, I find I keep up okay.   The guys who are really fluent sometimes don't have as good study habits, whereas I'm relentless with textbooks and things. Though I'm not worried about grades or anything, so this situation is maybe not as stressful as what you experienced.   I'm sure falling behind in a language class, would be a really dreadful experience.

Do they allow minors at your college? Can you switch to something like Asian Art or Asian History as a major and then continue studying Japanese as part of that?

Edited by cathrynm on 31 October 2011 at 9:10pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version