fiziwig
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
02 November 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
From time to time I noticed something interesting about how easily I remembered new vocabulary and grammatical items like verb conjugations, etc. It seemed to me that when I took my MP3 player along when I went for a walk and reviewed vocab or listened to lessons on irregular verbs that I seemed to absorb the information much more easily, and it seemed to stick with me more readily. But it was just a casual observation.

Then I stumbled across this article: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=14 3870 (Cut and paste the link and take out the blanks the forum seems to insert in the 143870 part of the link)

Quote:

Exercising While Learning Boosts Test Scores, Study Finds

MONDAY, May 2 (HealthDay News) -- Exercising while learning might improve kids' test scores, a new study finds.

The researchers looked at students in grades 1 through 6 at an academically low-scoring school in Charleston, S.C., who took part in a program that incorporated physical activity and classroom lessons for 40 minutes a day, five days a week. Before the study, the students had 40 minutes of physical education classes a week.

As part of the program, students in grades 1 and 2 learned movement skills while basic academic skills were reinforced. For example, they hopped through ladders while naming colors on each rung.

Students in grades 3 to 6 used exercise equipment with TV monitors. For example, a monitor on a treadmill would feature geography lessons while a student "ran" through the scene, the study authors explained.

-- more at the link --

I think I'm going to make it a habit to study on the treadmill and listen to language lessons while I'm out walking.

--gary

Edited by fiziwig on 02 November 2011 at 4:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4894 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 2 of 3
02 November 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I remember watching Professor Arguelles shadowing video and when he does the shadow
technique he likes to move around and exercise whilst doing it, so its probably worth
checking out his video on youtube.
1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
02 November 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
NickJS wrote:
I remember watching Professor Arguelles shadowing video and when he does the shadow
technique he likes to move around and exercise whilst doing it, so its probably worth
checking out his video on youtube.

Well, I guess there's nothing new under the sun. :)

--gary

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version