Dorkus
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 1 of 15
02 November 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I have been listening and reading to German, Swedish and Spanish for quite a while now. I would like to start practicing my pronunciation. I am planning to record myself repeating phrases from my training materials. My question is how much time should I start off with each day especially since I am a beginner. I want to do this for a bit before attempting to speak to a human. I am not at the conversational level yet. Thanks!

Edited by Fasulye on 08 November 2011 at 9:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 15
03 November 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Start soon. Listening and speaking are very different skills. Also, without speaking to a human, you won't get feedback and corrections on your pronunciation. Good luck on learning how to pronounce the number 7 in Swedish without a Swede to help you. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5197 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 15
03 November 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Obviously, the best way to practice speaking is to speak. I get corrected all the time in Portuguese, that's what helps me to learn. If you can say basic greetings, count, say "my name is ----, what's yours?" you can communicate- if that's your goal.

There are plenty of resources on the web available for language exchanges, even if you're a beginner. What will I talk about when my language level is so basic? Seek and ye shall find.

People are your best source of critique on pronunciation. If you are having trepidation about speaking to people, then try recording samples into mp3 and uploading them to a cyberlocker. Once uploaded, ask the forum members if they will critique you. This isn't as good as actually speaking to people but can provide you some feedback. To echo what @tibbles has said, speaking and listening are both very important- especially if you want to actually speak the language.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Dorkus
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 4 of 15
04 November 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the responses! For the time being I just want to compare my recording to the original before I start talking to a live person. I want to save them the agony of me struggling with basic pronunciation and slowness. Is there a certain amount of hours before one becomes somewhat fluid in speaking? Or is that a person by person basis? How many have you practiced by yourself before going one to one? How long did you practice each day?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 15
04 November 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Dorkus wrote:
For the time being I just want to compare my recording to the original before I start talking to a live person.

I don't remember anyone on this forum ever mentioning that they have learned a great deal from recording themselves. This kind of exercise is often suggested, but I'm not sure it's that efficient. The problem is that we are not usually very good at copying exactly what we hear, and we aren't very good either at deciding which parts need to be identical, and which allow for some leeway and how much.

Dorkus wrote:
I want to save them the agony of me struggling with basic pronunciation and slowness.

This is very altruistic of you. Are you sure it's not more about not embarrassing yourself? It doesn't much matter how much your pronunciation makes your partner struggle if the goal is for you to improve. And in order to improve, you will need to accept that you will fail, sometimes just a bit, sometimes miserably, but you will fail and you will learn from it. Do not put off failing, or you will be putting off learning.

Dorkus wrote:
Is there a certain amount of hours before one becomes somewhat fluid in speaking? Or is that a person by person basis? How many have you practiced by yourself before going one to one? How long did you practice each day?

It depends immensely from person to person, based on a wide variety of factors ranging from personal ability or interest to the amount of time available each and the quality of the study time.

I personally spend quite a bit of time doing self-talk, right from the start. Speaking is -- and usually by a fair margin -- my strongest skill. Here is a self-talk exercise I suggested a while back.

Edited by Arekkusu on 04 November 2011 at 7:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
07 November 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
MY EXPERIENCE WITH VOICE RECORDINGS

I have been using voice recordings to train my pronounciation of Danish. To make these voice recordings I use a memo recorder. With my MP3 - player I listen to a dialogue or two and then I read it aloud speaking on my memorecorder. I usually make 2-3 recordings of the same dialogue or text. Afterwards I listen to my recordings carefully while reading dialogue or text to control my achievement. When you do this regularly with a new language on the beginner level you will make rapid progress with your pronounciation. My target language Danish has a very diffcult pronounciation, so for me this method was and is a great help!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 07 November 2011 at 7:40am

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5406 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 15
07 November 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
I have been using voice recordings to try to increase my rate of speech to match native francophone rates. I have
noticed that even fluently bilingual anglophones tend to speak a bit slower than native speakers which does make
them easier to understand but does not sound natural. When I record a sample of maybe 8 to 20 seconds and
compare to the original it is usually a few seconds longer, so I try a couple more times until I match the time. At
this point I notice that my recording sounds a bit rushed whereas the original speaker sounds relaxed in the same
time, so with a couple more tries I can usually fix this and achieve a good recording matching the time and
sounding natural. This also helps to identify some spoken language "shortcuts" like contractions and missing
words.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 15
07 November 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
It's great to see Fasulye and microsnout chime in about their experience with recordings. I'd never heard anyone say that.

Of course, I've considered using recordings, but I always felt it was a bit of a waste of time, and that any potential benefit could be obtained otherwise anyway. Basically, I (naively and arrogantly) believe that I can tell what I'm doing wrong without having to record myself. My experience tells that it's probably not always true, but that it usually is. If I can't notice what I'm doing wrong, I'm not sure listening to myself will make it any more obvious. If I'm going to record myself, I'm probably going to practice a few times, but this exercise in itself will make you sound better as you improve your oral planning skills. As for speed, I can also just repeat something over and over until it gets faster, and it inevitably will.

Do you guys feel that you couldn't have made these improvements without recordings?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version