5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 15
08 November 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
It's great to see Fasulye and microsnout chime in about their experience with recordings. I'd never heard anyone say that.

If I'm going to record myself, I'm probably going to practice a few times, but this exercise in itself will make you sound better as you improve your oral planning skills.

I do it that way that I first listen to the native speaker on the CD (MP3 - player)and then I record myself 2 or 3 times. After each time I check the recording with the original text, so I can monitor how my pronounciation makes progress. If you make mistakes with your pronounciation on the recordings it doesn't matter because you yourself will be the only person who ever listens to these recordings. So it's just a training medium, nothing to broadcast to other people.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 15
08 November 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Do you guys feel that you couldn't have made these improvements without recordings?

I would say it depends very much on the language. If you learn a language with an easy and regular pronoucitation like Esperanto, or Turkish it's not necessary.

But there are other languages like English or Danish which have no strict pronouciation rules so you have to practice your pronounciation a lot, there such recordings are very effectful.

It will also be of great help when you have the personal ambition to aquire a near-native accent and may-be no personal contact to native speakers.

I didn't do such recordings with my other foreign languages, simply because I didn't have such a memo recorder before. But also with my other languages I did a kind of shadowing.

Fasulye

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 15
08 November 2011 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
I've definitely found it useful for French, I record myself speaking along to Assimil lessons for example and listen back to compare myself to the speaker in terms of pronunciation, rhythm, and intonation. Definitely much more useful than shadowing without recording in my experience, at least once you already have a decent knowledge of the sound system and so can understand what the differences are between how you're saying it and how they're saying it. Good to hear other people have found it useful too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5406 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 12 of 15
08 November 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Do you guys feel that you couldn't have made these improvements without recordings?

It is possible that I could have but there is really very little cost to it. I already use my laptop as the source of all the material to emulate so it is very simple to start up Audacity and make a recording.

Also, I am not a good judge of time. Starting with an original audio track of 10 sec, I think I am saying it the same way but when I make a recording I see it is 12.5 sec! That is 25% longer but I never realized it. At first I was surprised how difficult it was to match the original time and it sometimes felt like a tongue twister so I assume that I was just not used to reproducing the sounds in that sequence and rate.

As for pronunciation, I know I can't tell on my own if it is perfect but I can certainly distinguish between decent and terrible pronunciation.     

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4763 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 15
09 November 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
@OP:

I can't give you any guidance in terms of number of hours, but as an activity, I can't
see it doing any harm, and it may do a lot of good. (Once you get over the sound of your
own voice! This can be hard, even in your own language! :-) ).

Audacity, which has already been mentioned, is a great free tool, and ideal for this kind
of thing, especially if you already have some audio learning material on your computer.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5406 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 15
09 November 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
(Once you get over the sound of your
own voice! This can be hard, even in your own language! :-)

mets-en !!
It does take some getting used to. I keep thinking, is that the voice my friends have been hearing all these years!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 15
09 November 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
montmorency wrote:
(Once you get over the sound of your
own voice! This can be hard, even in your own language! :-)

mets-en !!
It does take some getting used to. I keep thinking, is that the voice my friends have been hearing all these years!

Strangely though, we never think other people's voices are weird, we just accept them. It's kind of like hats -- sometimes we think we look stupid with a hat on, but I've never seen anyone with a decent hat on that made me think they looked weird.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version