Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1, GermanB2

Message 17 of 70
06 March 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
OK, well this makes more sense now. Doesn't this seem to just say that
natives were more likely to remember the rules for noun forms that follow gender
patterns
(e.g., nouns ending in -ung and -keit are feminine), and that in some cases nonsense
nouns looked really similar to known actual nouns? This is very different from saying
that German nouns OVERALL have predictable gender, isn't it?

If I use a foreign word while speaking Romanian, I just use whatever gender sounds good
to me. And usually people are in agreement as to which gender sounds better. I see that
most Germans do the same, and I can assure you they have no idea about 'rules'. If you
ask them why they use a certain gender for a foreign word they just shrug or say
something along the lines of "it sounds masculine to me" :)

I'm not saying that the gender of all German nouns is predictable. But if you
have ... say 80% accuracy based on just the sound of the word alone, that's pretty
good. Much better than learning the rules explicitly. Your reaction time in
conversation would also be much faster
than if you had to consciously apply rules.

Edited by valkyr on 06 March 2012 at 10:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 18 of 70
06 March 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I just decided to sit the Goethe Zertifikat B2 exam on April 20.

The situation is as follows:

Reading:
I think I can handle this one. I understand newspaper articles fairly well. I might get
confused once in a while, but then again, I read the FAZ not das Bild.

Speaking:
This is usually my strong point. I know quite a few people who passed the B2 and they
don't seem to be more fluent than I am. I also get a lot of practice here ... well,
maybe not a lot but certainly more than somebody attending regular courses.

Listening:
While I may not be speaking much, I do listen to a lot to conversations between
natives. The way they speak - very fast, weird accents, dialect and so forth - is very
hard to understand too. At first, I was like ... "is this German?". But after almost
two months of this, I'm starting to understand better. I would be surprised if, after
all this practice, I would encounter issues here.

Grammar:
(Sprachbausteine) This one is bad. I haven't worked on grammar at all, apart from some
basic things, and it shows. If the exam took place tomorrow, there's a good chance I
would not get a passing grade.

Writing:
This one is awful too. Although maybe not as bad as grammar, since I can avoid complex
structures and lose points only for lack of style. I need a lot of practice here ...
think I'll start using Lang 8 to get feedback on this.

Sooo this is it ... I have about a month and a half left. Hope this works out. Since I
only have a short time to prepare I won't be aiming for a good grade, but I do want to
pass comfortably (at least "befriedigend").

Edited by valkyr on 06 March 2012 at 6:07pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 19 of 70
06 March 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Dealing with speed of conversations is very good, but are you sure that recognizing weird accents and dialects will help? Even for the C2: GDS I think they stick pretty closely to very standard, clearly spoken Hochdeutsch. I'd think maybe watching Tagesschau would be better prep for an exam (or some of the Deutsche Welle podcasts, if that's still too hard).

Number one piece of advice: learn the structure of the exam and what specific unusual types of tasks you need to do, so that you can practice accordingly.

Good luck!

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 20 of 70
07 March 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Yeah you're probably right about the accents. Goethe only uses clearly spoken standard
language.

I also happen to think their standards may be too low, especially with regard to
speaking. I've seen quite a few people who seem far from fluency although they've
passed the B2 with flying colors and are taking C1 level classes ...

Speaking about tests, I recently took the evaluation test on Goethe's website
http://www.goethe.de/cgi-bin/einstufungstest/einstufungstest .pl I got 20 out of 30
right
. For some reason it doesn't list your level anymore, but I've done a search
on Google, and it looks like at 18 / 30 they are recommending a B2 course, while at 22
you're supposed to be around C1. So overall, it looks like I'm in the right spot.

The last two days I've put in some effort to clear the backlog of cards in Anki. Now
I'm up to date. I also (finally) tackled adjective declension. It doesn't seem
to be as hard as I initially thought. You don't really have to memorize 48 endings.
There are logical correlations between them which make it far easier then at first
glance.

However, the rules are still too complex to be usable in a live conversation, unless
you have a micro-controller in your head :) I'll most likely use them in writing, and
they'll also come in handy when trying to double-check things. Btw, if any of you
want to practice, the site below has quite a few exercises regarding adjective
declension
. Scroll down to "Übungen zur Deklination der Adjektive".

http://deutsch-lerner.blog.de/2008/12/08/grammatik-deklinati on-adjektive-5181163/

Edited by valkyr on 07 March 2012 at 10:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5631 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 21 of 70
07 March 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
valkyr wrote:

Speaking about tests, I recently took the evaluation test on Goethe's website
http://www.goethe.de/cgi-bin/einstufungstest/einstufungstest .pl I got 20 out of 30
right
. For some reason it doesn't list your level anymore, but I've done a search
on Google, and it looks like at 18 / 30 they are recommending a B2 course, while at 22
you're supposed to be around C1.

Do you by chance have a link I see that talks about the scores and equivalent level? Or
perhaps you may know what 16/30 corresponds to?

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 22 of 70
08 March 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
This is the link that discusses it http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t13837.html

After reading through it I think I see the pattern:

A1 1 - 5
A2 6 - 10
B1 11 - 15
B2 16 - 20
C1 21 - 25
C2 25 - 30

Now, I'm not sure how hard B2 is supposed to be, but when I took the C1 for English a
few years ago, my English was an order of magnitude better.

Am I supposed to make such a leap between B2 and C1? Or are the German exams easier?

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 23 of 70
09 March 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm fast approaching 3000 words in Anki. I entered most words I encountered, except for
basic derivations and compositions. For example, if I have 'lernen', 'das Telefon' und
'das Buch' I won't bother adding 'der Lerner' and 'das Telefonbuch'.

Anyway, here are some (hopefully) interesting statistics:

Number of facts: 2895

For those of you not familiar with Anki jargon, this is the total number of items
(words / expressions) in the deck.

Total reviewing time: 4.24 days

Average time per answer: 7.8 sec
The average time per answer is upwardly skewed, as I sometimes get interrupted during
reviews and forget to close the application. Also, if I take more than 2-3 seconds to
remember a word, I mark it as 'hard', since for conversation or listening purposes,
word recognition and production need to be almost instantaneous.

Card age:
Mature: 85.3%
Young: 13.2%
Unseen: 1.5%

Correct answers:
Mature: 87.8%
Young: 79.3%
Seen first time: 71.4%

88% success rate on mature cards is reasonable, I don't want to let it drop below 80%
though. I also started using the "Very Easy" seldom, since I found that it delays cards
too much and I end up forgetting them. I reserve it for words which have almost no
chance of being forgotten, only to get them out of the way.

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4997 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 24 of 70
13 March 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I found another quiz which allows you to test your level of German
www.transparent.com/learn-german/proficiency-test.html

I got 89%.

I'm confused about the evaluation though. In my case I got an "Advanced Beginner"
(which according to the CEFR would be A2 I guess) even though I was close to maxing out
their test, and in 2 of the 4 parts I got a perfect score.

If you do >90% they classify you as an "intermediate". There is no "advanced" ... maybe
they are just trying to push their beginner courses, or the test itself is broken.

Either way I found it quite thorough. You should check it out.

Edited by valkyr on 13 March 2012 at 7:11pm

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version