Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1, GermanB2

Message 41 of 70
25 March 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
I was thinking ... one thing I didn't get to practice a lot during my stay here in
Germany was speaking, which is quite sad since this is one of the few things that I
really can't do at home.

My only conversation partners are my colleagues at work, but since we're all glued to
our computer screens for most of the day, there's not much conversation going on. I
probably don't speak more than 15 - 20 minutes per day.
It might be a bit more but
it's usually one-sided, as the native speaker tends to hijack the conversation and do
most of the talking himself.

I could have tried being more sociable, but I didn't feel comfortable enough talking to
random people ... and I was wondering why ...

I speak well enough to get my point across. That's not an issue. However, what I
constantly find frustrating is that I don't understand well when they speak.
Asking
"wie bitte?" every other sentence is not particularly pleasant. This reduces my
confidence, especially when it comes to talking to strangers.

Judging by the practice test results, I'm at least B2 with listening. But the B2 sample
is not even representative for a news broadcast, let alone real speed conversation with
local accents.

How do I improve listening comprehension? Following news broadcasts won't do it.
I need to understand real world conversations, not Angela Merkel's speech to the
Bundestag or other such contrived forms of communication.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 42 of 70
25 March 2012 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Well, I'd hardly call Angela Merkel's speeches to the Bundestag a contrived form of communication, unless you're
trying to make some sort of political statement...but why can't you just watch non-news TV, instead? People on TV
shows have full-speed, colloquial conversations with each other all the time, right?

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 43 of 70
25 March 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Well, I'd hardly call Angela Merkel's speeches to the Bundestag a contrived
form of communication, unless you're trying to make some sort of political
statement

I was referring to the form of communication being unnatural, not the content. Somebody
reciting a prepared speech in front of the cameras is definitely going to be a lot easier
to understand compared to colloquial speech.

I guess some non-news shows might be a good idea. I haven't really tried them so far,
since I found the news more interesting.

Edited by valkyr on 25 March 2012 at 11:14am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 44 of 70
25 March 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to improve my French listening by doing transcription. It really forces me to concentrate on what I hear. I basically take a simple text (usually one level below my current reading level) write it down then I check it. I always rewrite everything with the corrections and try to highlight my mistakes. With this method, I tend not to make the same mistake twice.

Other than that, you can try these exercises for listening comprehension at deutsch-lerner.blog.

Here's some free worksheets that I found but it looks like only the A1-A2 levels come with audio.
2 persons have voted this message useful

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 45 of 70
26 March 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
@Sunja
Thanks for the links.

While reading the B2 exam description on Goethe's website I realized, that you don't
need 60% on each of the 4 sections to pass. Rather, you only need a minimum of 60%
for the speaking part (15/25) and 60% for the other parts combined (45 out of 75
points)
!

In the practice test I got 47 points without doing the essays at all, which are worth
15 points. Even if I would have written poorly, and only gotten 7 points out of 15,
that's still 55 / 75, which means I would have passed with room to spare.

This differs from the Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (C2), which requires at least 60%
on each part of the exam. I looked up the C1 description and the passing conditions are
similar to the B2 test - the non-speaking sections are all bundled together in this
respect.

This is really good news, as it allows me to focus on the parts of the language that
I'm interested in. An underdeveloped skill, like writing for example, will not lead to
a failed test, as long as the overall skill level is appropriate. The only thing you
can't compensate for is a lack of speaking skills.

Edited by valkyr on 26 March 2012 at 12:46pm

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 46 of 70
28 March 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted to share with you some podcasts to listen to if you want to improve your
German.

There's a wide variety to choose from. I found this chart of the "best" German language
podcasts www.podcharts.de (note sure which criteria they use to rate them).
There are some video podcasts in there as well.

I personally listen to:

SWR2 - Wissen
Philosophy, science, research etc. Sounds similar to Discovery channel. Each episode is
about 30 min long and it's aired every other day. It's also #1 in the chart.

SWR1 - Leute
Interviews with interesting people from different backgrounds. What I like about this
is that you get to listen to someone new every episode, and since these people come
from all over Germany, you'll get a broader exposure than you would have with other
podcasts where you listen to the same speaker all the time.

Tageschau
The well known news show - 15 minutes daily -

Schlaflos in München
You may have heard of this one. It doesn't have any theme in particular, it's just
Annik Rubens talking about stuff. However, it's only updated rarely these days - every
two weeks or so.

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 47 of 70
31 March 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Newspaper reading has definitely become easier. I use a pop-up dictionary, which
speeds things up dramatically, and makes reading a much more enjoyable experience since
I don't need to switch pages to find out what a word means.

Out of curiosity, I tried reading a whole article without any dictionary help.
The article I chose was about politics, so relatively hard to understand compared to
the short news reports which describe specific events. There were a few sentences which
I couldn't figure out with certainty, and it was a bit harder to read without any
crutches, but I got all of the main points in the end. Three months ago I wouldn't have
stood a chance.

This is a really big step for me, because in the future I might not have the
time, nor the mood to study German. But I will still be reading newspapers and watching
TV, and if I can do this in my target language, than it would be very easy to at least
maintain my level.

It's far easier to maintain a language where you can read and listen to whatever
you like, rather than one where you are still relegated to dumbed down texts that don't
interest you in the slightest.

You have to reach "critical mass" if you will, with a language, in order to make
sure you won't just forget it in the coming years. This is what I think happens to most
wannabe polyglots: they start learning 5 languages at a time, do not reach that
critical level in any of them, and the first time some life event interrupts their
learning, or they have a temporary loss of interest, they end up forgetting everything.

Edited by valkyr on 31 March 2012 at 3:38pm

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4996 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 48 of 70
10 April 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Just returned from France. I visited a friend there. It's interesting to note how much
harder it is to learn a language which is unrelated to your native tongue. Although I
took some French classes in school, I never really learned anything and I thought my
level was close to zero.

Despite that I understood more than 50% from what I heard around me and could easily
get the gist of most texts. Most of the words are very similar to Romanian, and the
sentence structure is also very natural. It took so much more effort to reach this
level in German.

Anyway, I'm back in Germany now, and only have a few days left before returning home.
The B2 exam is due next Friday and, after having spent the last couple of days without
learning any German, I feel somewhat unprepared.

I stopped adding words to Anki since I already have a 600 card backlog and I'll focus
on mock exams and grammar.

Edited by valkyr on 10 April 2012 at 4:47pm

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version