Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5010 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1, GermanB2

Message 57 of 70
21 April 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Now that I've (hopefully) passed the B2 cert. The next goal would be C1!

Goethe doesn't offer any C1 level courses for the time being due to lack of demand.
Since B2 is sufficient for most purposes, like study and (most) work, there don't seem
to be as many people interested in advanced level courses. I might look at other
language schools but for the time being, I'll have to study on my own.

Since I'm no longer in Germany, things will progress more slowly, and I will also have
less time available, maybe 1h / day.

Regarding Anki, since I started reading authentic materials, I encounter new
words at a rate that makes it impractical to add all of them to my deck. I'll only be
adding new words sporadically, if I consider them important.

For listening, I'll use the Tagesschau podcast and SWR Wissen. In addition I can
also watch Deutsche Welle live on the internet and I have 2 or 3 German channels on
television.

Writing will be relegated to lang-8, but I probably won't be doing much of that.

Reading I think I need to start reading some longer texts, like books. I've been
looking at a novel called "Der Beobachter" (the observer). I found a blog on the
internet, written by a guy who was preparing to pass the B2 exam. He was reading this
book too, so I assume it is appropriate for my level. It also seems to have great
reviews.

Speaking opportunities will be rare to non-existent, but that's not really a
problem. I also use English very rarely in conversation and, given enough input,
fluency doesn't seem to deteriorate much.
1 person has voted this message useful

crno_srce
Diglot
Australia
yetanotherlanguage.b
Joined 4527 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanB2

Message 58 of 70
26 April 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Hey Valkyr!

I'm the guy who wrote the blog you're referring to here. Congratulations on sitting the
B2 exam. It sounds to me like you did really well, and I really hope the final results
match your expectations. My own expectations are somewhat lower :-)

Having said that, I'm sure you'll have absolutely no trouble at all with Der
Beobachter. Grammatically speaking, I would say there wasn't a single construct
anywhere that caused me comprehension issues. It all came down to vocabulary for me. I
got a bit bored with always adding new words to my Anki list because it slowed down my
enjoyment of the story at times, but looking back I wish I had done it a little more,
but in a more targeted fashion. I did it right at the start and that was really helpful
because the words I didn't know from the backcover and the first few pages, reappeared
many times over through the rest of the book. There were also sections of the book
where a new word would appear frequently over about 5-15 pages and then disappear
again. I wonder if these sections were all written at once!

As for speaking opportunities, you live quite close to Germany - if I managed to find a
few speakers here to practice with, you can too :-)

I find your point about maintaining a high level of input being enough to maintain your
fluency (but presumably, not to improve it!). If true, that would be very helpful to
those of us not living in the country where the language is spoken.

Thanks for posting your experiences and preparations - I found them very helpful!
2 persons have voted this message useful

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5010 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 59 of 70
28 May 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
@crno_srce

It was your blog, really? Small world :) Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to dig deeper into 'Der Beobachter'. I'm still at the beginning of the book. I anticipated this drop in interest after my return from Germany, so I'm glad I sat the B2 right away.

After a long wait, I finally have the results. I got a better than expected grade. I was only 0.5 points away from a 'sehr gut'. Let's see how the results compare to my initial estimates:

Reading: 24/25 (expected 20)
Listening: 20/25 (expected 20)
Writing: 22/25 (expected 17)
Speaking: 23.5/25 (expected 23)

Total: 89.5/100

Basically, I estimated correctly the listening & speaking parts, but underestimated the writing and reading sections. This is because both writing and reading contain a grammar exercise, where I usually did pretty bad in the mock exams. Apparently I did much better in the actual exam.

Now I have the C1 in my sights. This is gonna be much harder since I can't find any language school which offers group courses past B2 level and I'm not in Germany anymore, so the motivation is also on the low side. Maybe Goethe Institute will hold a C1.1 course in autumn. I'll have to wait and see.

Thank you for all your support!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4904 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 60 of 70
28 May 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations, valkyre, that score's great! I hope the Goethe Institute do end up
holding that C1 course for you.

crno_srce
Diglot
Australia
yetanotherlanguage.b
Joined 4527 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanB2

Message 61 of 70
28 May 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Congratulation, Valkyr!

I passed too - got 89/100. I thought being 1 mark away from the top grade was a little
annoying but to be just half a mark away - torture!

Just kidding. It's an excellent result. I won't pollute your thread with my full update
- anyone interested for my thoughts post the exam can find them on my blog with the
results in particular here: http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/goethe-
zertifikat-b2-bestanden.html

Good luck with your preparations for the C1 exam. I'm sure it'll go well for you even
out of the country and with no specific classes. I'm not sure what I'll do next exactly
- if I'll aim for another German exam, or something different, but I'll keep an eye on
your posts here to see how you go.

Is your goal to do C1 by the end of the year? Or C2?

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5010 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 62 of 70
02 June 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
@Luna Moonsilver

Thanks, I hope so too!

@crno_srce

I don't think C2 is viable by the end of the year. That's really advanced and you have to get a passing grade on all parts of the exam. Reading, writing and listening, are no longer bundled together as they are in lesser exams (C1 and below). If you mess up one of them (<15 / 25 score) you can't compensate by doing better in other parts.

In my case what helped a lot was actually being in Germany and studying at least 3 hours per day for a few months. It's been a month and a half since I left Germany and already feeling a bit rusty ... especially when it comes to speaking.

I now attend a C1 course at work, but it's only 1.5 hours / week, so ... not even enough to maintain my level, let alone make progress. Right now I'm trying to practice at least an hour / day so I don't forget, but until I start attending a serious course I don't expect to go very far ...

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5010 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 63 of 70
06 July 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Lately I've started working harder on my German. I finally managed to clear my flash card backlog. I'm now adding new words again. (Currently around 3300).

I also started listening to more podcasts. I think my comprehension rate is somewhere around 80 - 90% and I can usually infer the rest from context.

One issue seems to be the foreign vocabulary. Most German words have no connection to either English or Romanian counterparts, so even after having learned them, recognition is not instantaneous.

Another difficulty arises from German's tendency to agglutinate words. For example, a root word like ... say 'Sicht' (sight), has many derivations with wildly varying semantics: 'Ansicht' (viewpoint), 'Aussicht' (outlook), 'Hinsicht' (aspect), 'Absicht' (intention) and so on.

Context doesn't always help. For instance, hearing "Die Ansicht der Abgeordneten ...", unless you've clearly heard the "N" in "Ansicht", you might mistakenly think they're talking about the "The congressmen's intention ..." rather than their opinion. Even if you heard it correctly, you still need more time to retrieve the correct meaning from all the "Sichts" you have memorized.

I see no quick fix for this. Words need to become better anchored in my head before I can recognize them quickly and this takes takes lots of time.

Edited by valkyr on 06 July 2012 at 4:44pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 64 of 70
06 July 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
The time to retrieve from memory will likely just come with time, but I certainly sympathize with this particular type of issue. I have a post-it next to my desk with definitions for 10 different words ending in "-trag" that still give me trouble sometimes.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version