Diglot
Canada
Joined 4636 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 29
02 November 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
As for Pimsleur, I did most lessons more than once. I think that's more effective. Also, when I had finished the first
volume, I did the lessons again, but without any specific order (for instance, today I could put on lesson 12 just for
fun). It keeps the brain guessing.
1 person has voted this message useful

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4231 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2, Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 26 of 29
11 November 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I just finished lesson 26. It is clear that Pimsleur teaches me what I need to learn.

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4231 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes

Message 27 of 29
22 November 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Today I finished Lesson 4 of Pimsleur 2. I borrowed another book from the library just
for fun and discovered some interesting cultural notes and new vocabulary that I will
certainly use in everyday conversations. I am looking forward to jump into real material,
as it is my main purpose of this challenge. The book is called Basic Spoken Chinese and
it is all pinyin based.

Edited by oruixo13 on 22 November 2012 at 7:53pm

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4231 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes

Message 28 of 29
27 November 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
My vocabulary is rapidly building up. At least that is what I feel. I have a good
command thanks to Pimsleur of combination of tones. I began to go early in the morning
to the park next to my place and shadow while I listen to the daily lesson. People may
think I am crazy, but it greatly reinforces the dialogues in my brain. I'm beginning to
love more and more this community of language learners for its open-mindedness towards
different countries and cultures. A little bit of fresh air in this world of racism and
nationalism!! Thank you for existing!!

Also I learn that there are some hot topics that I try to avoid, such as the word
fluency and perfectionism.

Lesson 2.09 finish and Assimil's lesson 20.

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4231 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes

Message 29 of 29
21 February 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Wohoo!! I stopped from posting here but don't let that make you think that I stopped
from studying!
I almost finished Assimil. Well, 20 lessons to go. I master completely the first book.
I have to say that I didn't like that with Assimil one cannot learn the verb 希望, but
I found that in one footnote it does appear.
I am now studying also with Practical Audio-Visual Chinese. As it was made in Taiwan,
it uses trad. characters, which is a great feature for me since I want to go to the
country.

I almost forget, How many words you guys think are needed to attend postgraduate
classes?

I hope someone reads that...

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version