Triglot
Poland
Joined 4938 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 9 of 16
13 January 2013 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
@ Maïwenn and Liam, Thank you very much, I'll try to do my best. Pob lwc to you too!

Serpent, no idea why they had so many books in Swedish. A king from Swedish dynasty moved our capital from Kraków to Warszawa, maybe it's the hotel's way to show gratitude :P Seriously, no idea. I did buy five books, four in German and one in Spanish. I'm always very happy when I find a good novel in German because my mum and sister both speak it and we all profit from my purchase.
It was great to meet you in Wrocław :)

Norwegian:
I'm revising 5 first chapters of Vil du lære norsk and I watched Himmel og helvete, I'm not sure if this film actually deterred someone from taking drugs but I enjoyed it. Is it well known in Norway? (It's from 1969, could be a classic)

Welsh:
Right now I'm listening to the fifth audio lesson of saysomethinginwelsh beginners course, I also have radio Ceredigion playing in the background when I do something on my computer, from time to time they switch from English to Welsh.

Spanish: I watched the news on Deutsche Welle online (dw.de)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 16
13 January 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Gosiak wrote:
I watched Himmel og helvete, I'm not sure if this film actually deterred someone from taking drugs but I enjoyed it. Is it well known in Norway? (It's from 1969, could be a classic)

I have never heard of it, but I was only 7 years old when it was released. Lillebjørn Nilsen is super famous in Norway though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4938 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 11 of 16
14 January 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Welsh!

I asked Radio Ceredigion team on facebook if they have any only Welsh programm on air and they answered me immediately that they have a daily show between 6 and 8 pm. I also wrote them that I want to learn their beautiful language. I'm listening to it now and they greeted me twice (sofar) during the audition and said that they believe I can learn Welsh (if I understood correctly), what a great encouragement.
The broadcast is not entirely in Welsh (news and adds are in English) but they play many Welsh songs.
Radio Ceredigion - if anybody wanted to hear casual Welsh.

Edited by Gosiak on 14 January 2013 at 8:14pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6715 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 16
14 January 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Nice, that's really motivating!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4169 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 13 of 16
17 January 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
"due to my renewed interest in mythology and penchant for metal and folk music, and I
thought to myself that one day I have to start learning Norwegian."

That's awesome! Learning a language to listen to the Metal they make must be hard though.
I'm already having enough problems with understanding English/Dutch metal but those
Scandinavians sure know how to make metal.

Lykke til Gosiak!

Edited by Kez on 17 January 2013 at 8:53am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 16
27 January 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with Norwegian and other languages , Gosiak!

Tahl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4100 days ago

26 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh
Studies: Spanish, Finnish

Message 15 of 16
02 March 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Gosiak wrote:
Bore da!
Welsh: For now I try to focus on revising saysomethinginwelsh's free course using their
approach (just listening and repeating, no notes, no reading) and I listen to Radio
Ceredigion (they talk in Welsh every now and then). Later on I'll use Colloquial Welsh
and BBC's Catchphrase course.

Shwmae, Gosiak, a gobeithio dy fod ti'n joio'r Gymraeg! (Hiya, Gosiak, & hope you're
enjoying Welsh!) If you are doing SSIW, I think you've probably seen me on the (very
active & supportive) forum there. How far have you gotten so far, and are you doing
northern or southern? If you're listening to Radio Ceredigion, I'm guessing southern
(like me).

Are you aware that you can listen to Radio Cymru free online (all Welsh, all the time),
and that it's available also through TuneIn apps?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru/
I find Taro'r Post (midday in Wales) particularly useful listening practice, since as a
call-in show it gets people with all sorts of accents.

I also recommend Pigion, which is Radio Cymru's weekly podcast for learners (edited
excerpts from the week's shows, with specially-written introductions and vocab sheets
available online). You can get it in iTunes, or here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/pigion
For the vocab sheets, go here and click on 'Geirfa' (vocabulary):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru/safle/pigion//

I don't personally like Colloquial Welsh (too disorganized), but King's Modern Welsh is
imho a spectacularly good reference grammar book for the colloquial spoken language. To
me, the only 'teaching' resources you really have to have to handle Welsh are SSIW,
Modern Welsh, the green idioms book (check on www.gwales.com, you'll find it), plus
music, Radio Cymru, Pigion, novels for learners, 'real novels,' etc. Somewhere near
the end of Course 2 of SSIW I also went systematically through the southern Cwrs
Mynediad and Cwrs Sylfaen Welsh for Adults texts to make sure I had all the basics
down. (I don't recommend the Cwrs Canolradd book -- by the time you get there, it's way
too easy.)

I'm pretty comfortable with Welsh now, and am starting Spanish. I held off until I was
confident the Welsh was enough 'part of me' not to go away.

Pob lwc! Mae'r Gymraeg yn hyfryd. (Good luck! Welsh is lovely.) :-)

3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5368 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 16 of 16
16 March 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Bore da, Gosiak! How are you getting along with saysomethinginwelsh? I've added Radio Ceredigion to my iTunes list now, as well as some of those other great BBC Welsh links mentioned by Tahl.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version