Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 33 of 57
04 February 2013 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
This isn't too alien to English. Think of the expression "It's a
beautiful day out." The time word "day" there doesn't refer to a stretch of 24 hours.
Rather, the phrase just means the "the weather outside is very nice."

Yeah, it works exactly the same way in Spanish, too. In practice, it shouldn't be at
all difficult. I was just so comforted by the fact that temps sounds so much
like "time", and then it pulled my comfort out from underneath me and I fell into a
ravine of doubt and despair for ten seconds. I appreciate the analogy, though. That
puts it in a nice perspective.

> Pimsleur II lesson 17
> Assimil lesson 17

Each lesson overlapped a lot with material that the other has taught me in the past.
The queue in Anki is growing faster than I'm reviewing, though, so at the very least
I'll have a nice buffer at the end of Assimil.

My dad, being non-native and out of practice, finds that he doesn't know a few words in
the Assimil lessons whenever I show them to him. He said he wants it when I'm done so
that he can read through it and learn, too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 34 of 57
05 February 2013 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
> Pimsleur II lesson 18
> Assimil lesson 18

I haven't really seen how writing out the Assimil lessons helped until today, when I
realized I completely missed the word vers and its meaning in my initial read-
throughs. I guess since it followed venez I just assumed it was vous.

Pimsleur sort of dragged on, in part because of unrelenting grammar problems, and in
part because the material as of late isn't that interesting. Right now it's children
and where they go to school and what they study. It's definitely useful to know, just
not something that I would want to talk about in any language. ç-ç

I'm taking a break from adding Anki notes, since I'm sure not going to run out anytime
soon. I have all the noun cards set up with the corresponding articles le and
la to memorize gender (or an (m) or (f) at the end if it starts with a vowel)
and I'm hoping that'll reinforce some memorization where quick guesswork would not
suffice. I'm wondering if I should increase the amount of new cards per day, since
right now I can finish them in about 7 or 8 minutes.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 57
05 February 2013 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Vanthie wrote:
I'm wondering if I should increase the amount of new cards per day, since
right now I can finish them in about 7 or 8 minutes.

A handy rule of thumb from the Anki manual (emphasis added):

Quote:
Studying new cards will temporarily increase the number of reviews you need to do a day, as freshly learnt material needs to be repeated a number of times before the delay between repetitions can increase appreciably. If you are consistently learning 20 new cards a day, you can expect your daily reviews to be roughly about 200 cards/day. You can decrease the reviews required by introducing fewer new cards each day, or by turning off new card display until your review burden decreases. More than one Anki user has excitedly studied hundreds of new cards over their first few days of using the program, and then become overwhelmed by the reviews required.

Anki tends to start slowly and build up over the first month or so, after which things start to level off.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 36 of 57
06 February 2013 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
A handy rule of thumb from the Anki manual (emphasis added):

Quote:
Studying new cards will temporarily increase the number of reviews you need to
do a day, as freshly learnt material needs to be repeated a number of times before the
delay between repetitions can increase appreciably. If you are consistently learning
20 new cards a day, you can expect your daily reviews to be roughly about 200
cards/day.
You can decrease the reviews required by introducing fewer new cards
each day, or by turning off new card display until your review burden decreases. More
than one Anki user has excitedly studied hundreds of new cards over their first few
days of using the program, and then become overwhelmed by the reviews required.

Anki tends to start slowly and build up over the first month or so, after which things
start to level off.

Wow, okay. I'll stick to twenty then. I am now noticing that there are slowly more
cards coming each day, whereas initially it was just 20 new and 20 review. Good to
know.

> Pimsleur II lesson 19
> Assimil lesson 19

Today in Pimsleur I finally realized where we got the word "mayday" from. I'm pretty
sure I lost some degree of focus for the rest of the lesson because I felt like I had
just discovered the secret to the universe.

I'm also seeing more and more words that include the "oe" letter, and no way of
recreating it on this keyboard except by my word processor autocorrecting as I type it.
Hmm.

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 37 of 57
07 February 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
> Pimsleur II lesson 20
> Assimil lesson 20

I don't know what it was about Pimsleur, but I was just on top of it today. I was
finishing my sentences and everything.

Assimil today was virtually all review, which is funny considering the review day is
actually tomorrow. Anki has eliminated a lot of need for vocab review within Assimil;
even inputting the words into the deck alone is really good review.

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 38 of 57
08 February 2013 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
> Pimsleur II lesson 21
> Assimil lesson 21

Today was unremarkable all around. I don't remember at all if anything new came up in
Pimsleur or Assimil, and Anki was just business as usual. In fact I checked back over
Pimsleur for the benefit of this post, and I can indeed verify that it was pretty much
all review. This post will just have to be short and boring.

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 39 of 57
09 February 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
> Pimsleur II lesson 22
> Assimil lesson 22

I have a sore throat today, so after Pimsleur I just read Assimil silently. I'll
probably go back and read it properly tomorrow.

I pointed out to my dad something in my learning French so far that isn't so much
inconvenient as it is simply amusing—that I don't know how to say 'happy', but I do
know how to say things like 'My daughter studies medicine in college'. Pimsleur has a
tendency to teach only what could be relevant to a traveller and Assimil teaches with
conversation and narrative, so between the two of them, some basic toddler-level
concepts sometimes take longer to get around to. In Pimsleur, for example, I'm learning
how to talk about tennis of all things (and, incidentally, shared the verb jouer
with Assimil's section on gambling). Meanwhile in Assimil I've recently begun grasping
the concepts of hungry and thirsty and tired, so with any luck I will be on the same
level as a French two-year-old as far as being able to express my needs.

Vanthie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4141 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes

Message 40 of 57
10 February 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
> Pimsleur II lesson 23
> Assimil lesson 23

Assimil was pretty lax since a lot of emphasis was on double-digit numbers, and Pimsleur
drilled those into my brain for all eternity. Getting to spell them for a change is nice,
though.

All I really remember from Pimsleur today was the word for "better" and how it sounds
EXACTLY like a cat meowing.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version