MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4096 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 1 of 14
04 March 2013 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I've been reading the site
for a while but have finally registered as being part of such an active community can
only be good for my language learning :) I'm a 19 year old student in the west of
Ireland, Japanese is the first of what I hope will be a few languages I'm going to
study.

I studied Japanese to a beginner level about a year ago but stopped to focus on exams,
I've been meaning to get back into studying ever since but just didn't get around
to it.

I had a solid grasp of the kana and basic vocab/grammar. I tested myself on the kana
today and while I couldn't write them all out from memory I'm sure it'll come back to
me over the next couple of days. I've decided to focus on Heisig's first book and try
to study it intensely over the next few weeks. I'm also going to start Pimsleur or
Michel Thomas tomorrow, although more I won't be studying too intensely a lesson or so
per day.

I have accumulated some books and here and there but not sure what I'm going to
continue with after I finish RTK, but I'll be sure to keep you posted with whatever
resources I choose to use and of course I'd love to hear any recommendations.

Edited by MultipackCan on 04 March 2013 at 8:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
04 March 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I recommend Reviewing the Kanji for reviewing the Heisig kanji. It's also a good place to find stories if you get stuck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Waylon
United States
Joined 4096 days ago

10 posts - 14 votes
Studies: French, Georgian, Persian

Message 3 of 14
04 March 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure how much time you'll have, but if you're okay with watching very corny Japanese videos, I would recommend Irasshai. They're about twenty six minutes and very interesting (I'm not sure when they were made, but I'm guessing late 90s-early 2000s).

MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4096 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes

Message 4 of 14
05 March 2013 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Thanks! @Brun Ugle I'm going to be using RememberingtheKanji everyday, it seems like a
great resource. @Waylon I'll definitely check the videos out anyway :)

Cheers.

MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4096 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes

Message 5 of 14
07 March 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Upto around 425~ Kanji today. Reviewing using both Anki and reviewingthekanji.com. I've
been watching an episode of Irasshai everyday as suggested and also listening to a
Pimsleur per day.

I tried the Erin.ne.jp video lessons, studying the scripts in the morning and then
watching the episode, but I didn't understand much of the grammar and found it
frustrating. I will go back to them though in a couple of months once I have completed
RTK and begin to focus on speaking and grammar.

I started seperate Anki decks for sentences and vocabulary today. Not much in them yet
though but I'll try add a little daily.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5928 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 14
08 March 2013 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
A fellow RTKer :) Best of luck. I have noticed that it get a lot harder after around 700 kanji or so, I don't know but I
at least had times when I felt that I just couldn't be bothered with doing my reviews. But breaking up the task into
smaller ones, like just studying for 5 minutes really helped me.

Also: are you actively using Anki and RevTK to review? I have read that this might not be such a good idea because it
will screw up the SRS because there are times when you might only know a kanji in Anki because you have just seen
it 5 minutes ago in RevTK, and the other way around, rather than e.g. 5 days ago as the SRS assumes you have. That
is also the reason why I am only using Anki to review and RevTK to get my stories from. Particularly once Heisig
doesn't provide and stories or hints it becomes tough.

MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4096 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes

Message 7 of 14
08 March 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
Also: are you actively using Anki and RevTK to review? I have read that this
might not be such a good idea because it
will screw up the SRS because there are times when you might only know a kanji in Anki
because you have just seen
it 5 minutes ago in RevTK, and the other way around, rather than e.g. 5 days ago as the
SRS assumes you have. That
is also the reason why I am only using Anki to review and RevTK to get my stories from.
Particularly once Heisig
doesn't provide and stories or hints it becomes tough.

Thanks, that does make sense. I'll just stick to Anki from today onwards for SRS. Can't
wait to get it done! :)

Bubblyworld
South Africa
http:/
Joined 4098 days ago

7 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Xhosa, French, Japanese

Message 8 of 14
08 March 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
RTK is indeed a great resource for learning the kanji! If you every find yourself lacking a bit of motivation, a couple of sites I've found useful to kickstart me back into gear are:
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/   - A crazy, fun site. Love the posts there.
http://www.asahi.com/     - 朝日新聞, a major Japanese newspaper.
http://www.tofugu.com/     - Very amusing tales of Japanese culture =).

頑張っているね!

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version