Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Best Bible chapter for language learning?

Tags: Book
 Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
dolly
United States
Joined 5725 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 17 of 22
24 April 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Are there free versions of the bible in audio format? I know for novels and so on these have to be purchased, but I wondered if some religious groups has put out a free audio bible. I ask, because I would be interested in trying the Listening-Reading method with the bible.

p.s. I don't want to pay for audio because I am not a christian, but free audio may compel me to give it a go simply for the language-learning benefits.

Yes. Faith Comes By Hearing has the Bible in many languages. Another site.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 22
24 April 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
dolly wrote:
Splog wrote:
Are there free versions of the bible in audio format? I know for novels and so on these have to be purchased, but I wondered if some religious groups has put out a free audio bible. I ask, because I would be interested in trying the Listening-Reading method with the bible.

p.s. I don't want to pay for audio because I am not a christian, but free audio may compel me to give it a go simply for the language-learning benefits.

Yes. Faith Comes By Hearing has the Bible in many languages. Another site.

Marvellous. Thank you - that first link is excellent.

EDIT: I have downloaded a few bibles from Faith Comes By Hearing, but - alas - they are only the new testament which I do not particularly enjoy. My greatest enthusiasm (if you can call it that) is for the old testament. I tried your second link too - which does have recordings of the old testament, but only in a few languages. My apologies if I sound a bit greedy here, but are there any mp3 recordings for free download in many languages for the old testament?

Edited by Splog on 24 April 2010 at 9:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 19 of 22
24 April 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
are there any mp3 recordings for free download in many languages for the old testament?

Christians don't really use the OT for proselytizing so they have less incentive to offer it and Jewish folks don't seem as interested in converting the world to their way of thinking. (Not meaning to start a religious war, just stating my, possibly wrong, observation.)

The guy at GreekLatinAudio.com just started the Torah (1st five books of the OT) in Hebrew, but he only has the first half of Genesis. Also found this Hebrew Bible. I've been trying to find a mp3 Greek Septuagint myself.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5725 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 20 of 22
24 April 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
are there any mp3 recordings for free download in many languages for the old testament?

Based on your language list:

FRENCH

GERMAN

RUSSIAN

"CHINESE" (MANDARIN?)

There are audio Bible iPod apps in different languages (prices range from free to cheap), audio Bibles at various torrent sites, and one can search for Bibles by going to Google>language tools>type search terms in your language ("Bible French mp3")>choose site language ( e.g. French) >enter.

Edited by dolly on 24 April 2010 at 6:08pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 22
24 April 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
dolly wrote:
Splog wrote:

Based on your language list:

FRENCH

GERMAN

RUSSIAN

"CHINESE" (MANDARIN?)

There are audio Bible iPod apps in different languages (prices range from free to cheap), audio Bibles at various torrent sites, and one can search for Bibles by going to Google>language tools>type search terms in your language ("Bible French mp3")>choose site language ( e.g. French) >enter.

Dolly, you are a hero. Thank you very much!
1 person has voted this message useful

quendidil
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6247 days ago

126 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 22 of 22
24 April 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles has a link on his subforum to a site with tons of New Testament recordings even in very obscure languages.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version