Diglot
United States
Joined 5810 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 1 of 29
18 June 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
How is the accuracy of Google language translator. I have never used it, but today I took a look at it and saw that they added more languages. Is it actually a good dictionary?
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 29
18 June 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Bad, but it is still useful in two situations: 1) if you don't know the language you are dealing with, because then even a hint that is only partly true is better than no hint, 2) if you know the foreign language fairly well so that you can spot the worst errors. Sometimes it leaves out a negation, sometimes it can't decide on what is the subject and what is object in a sentence, sometimes it leaves out a word or a phrase (maybe because it doesn't like to admit it doesn't know it - which makes it seem almost human), and if you use apostrophes in a word you can thoroughly confuse the poor little thing.

That being said, it is amazing that Google can make machine translations even at this mediocre level, and if I started to learn Chinese or Hungarian or Arabic right now I have a feeling that it would become an expert translation master before me.

Edited by Iversen on 18 June 2009 at 10:27pm

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5773 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 4 of 29
18 June 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
It is better from some languages than others.

For example it's virtually perfect from Swedish to Danish and very good for Swedish to German. Because the languages are similar so it's harder to mix up the grammar and the structure of the sentence is not so different.

But it's rubbish for Russian or Japanese which are the only other languages I tried.

ego.penso
Israel
Joined 5590 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 5 of 29
18 June 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Bad, but it is still useful in two situations: 1) if you don't know
the language you are dealing with, because then even a hint that is only partly true
is better than no hint, 2) if you know the foreign language fairly well so that you
can spot the worst errors. Sometimes it leaves out a negation, sometimes it can't
decide on what is the subject and what is object in a sentence, sometimes it leaves
out a word or a phrase (maybe because it doesn't like to admit it doesn't know it -
which makes it seem almost human), and if you use apostrophes in a word you can
thoroughly confuse the poor little thing.

That being said, it is amazing that Google can make machine translations even at this
mediocre level, and if I started to learn Chinese or Hungarian or Arabic right now I
have a feeling that it would become an expert translation master before me.

Bad compared to a human translator, obviously. But among the other machine translators
out there, it's by far the best. Machine translation is still a relatively new field.
The particular Google algorithm is said to be able to improve it's ability as it goes.
The machine processes parallel texts of two languages and learns to equate grammar points. Even though it's far from being perfect, it's an excellent tool for people who
know how to use it. The mistakes you find in it are falling out gradually, and my
estimate is that 2 years from now, it will reach perfect results. All too bad for the
human translators among us.
How do you make good use of it? If you wan't to know how to formulate a correct
sentence, you have the machine translate it from your language, and you take the
sentence to a search engine. You add in quotes, and you see how many results you get.
If it's above, let's say 5000 results, you naturally conclude that 5000 people are not
wrong, and you get to understand what's the correct form of the sentence. If it
doesn't seem convincing, you make your own adjustments, until you get it.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6307 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 29
19 June 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
It's very bad. It's good for looking up words or expressions or checking things but it's
no good for real translation.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6307 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 29
19 June 2009 at 7:14am | IP Logged 

ego.penso wrote:
The mistakes you find in it are falling out
gradually, and my
estimate is that 2 years from now, it will reach perfect results.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just not possible. Language translation is not
as simple as equating grammar points. The reason why humans out perform machine
translation is because the human actually understands and comprehends what they are
translating. Machine translation will always have a cold non-human feel to it. The
only way it will ever perform perfectly is if it has human-level artificial intelligence
and that won't happen for many years to come

Edited by zerothinking on 22 June 2009 at 2:59pm

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5810 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 8 of 29
19 June 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
It doesn't work half bad when it comes to single words, but when it comes to phrases, it just screws things up from what I have seen from playing with it for a bit of time.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version