hypersport
United States
Joined 5816 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 67
09 May 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Datsunking:

Which frecuency dictionary do you have for Spanish?   I see my local Barnes and Noble has one but it's only 5,000 words for about $30.00. 20,000 sounds much better to me as I probably already know the majority of the 5,000.

I keep 2 dictionaries next to me while reading novels. One is a Spanish/English from Oxford which has proved very valuable ($6.00) and the other is pure Spanish by Larousse with more than 50,000 words. It's good, but the print is super tiny ($7.00 paperback).

The idea of a frequency dictionary with 20,000 words used as a separate tool sounds interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 67
09 May 2010 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
Woah that's a long link.

You can shrink the link by dropping the referral section... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frequency-Dictionary-German-Routledg e-Dictionaries/dp/0415316332/

If that referral was against your associate account, please remember that it's good manners to mention that when you post the link, and offer a non-affiliate link for those who don't want to provide you commission.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6935 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 11 of 67
09 May 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
brian91 wrote:
Woah that's a long link.

...If that referral was against your associate account, please remember that it's good manners to mention that when you post the link, and offer a non-affiliate link for those who don't want to provide you commission.

?

OUt of curiosity, what does this mean ?
Thanks

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5773 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 67
09 May 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't work like that!

You need to have the grammar right, you need to understand and use expressions, correct word order, patterns of speech, polite phrases etc.

Although 3000 words is a good start, just because you know them you are not fluent.
Start reading in that languages (lots!!!) listening to music, watch TV and film with subs. And keep learning words..
8 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 67
10 May 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I made word counts for all my languages about one year ago, using the method where you take samples from a number of dictionaries of different sizes for each language. With a small dictionary you will of course never get a high number - if it contains 10.000 head words (as some micro dictionaries do) then knowing half the words may tell you more about the size of your vocabulary than the number in itself. With 30-50.000 head words the estimate is more realistic - but as anyone here will know there are always words that you can't find in any given dictionary (and some of those words may be part of your personal vocabulary). So any quoted number should be regarded with deep suspicion.

Having said that I have noticed that I need to pass a passive vocabulary of at least 10.000 head words before I can read newspapers and magazines reasonably fluently without a dictionary, and I don't feel quite at home in a language before I have passed the 20.000 word mark. So 3.000 is definitely not enough.

On the other hand an active vocabulary of 3000 well-chosen words would probably be enough for most purposes - but estimating a person's active vocabulary is much more difficult than counting passive words, so I don't even know where I stand in my own languages. I just know that the better I know a language the higher the proportion of words I also might use actively - especially if I am in a suitable situation like a travel where I use the language all the time.

Edited by Iversen on 10 May 2010 at 1:29am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5287 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 67
10 May 2010 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
brian91 wrote:
Woah that's a long link.

You can shrink the link by dropping the referral section... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frequency-Dictionary-German-Routledg e-Dictionaries/dp/0415316332/

If that referral was against your associate account, please remember that it's good manners to mention that when you post the link, and offer a non-affiliate link for those who don't want to provide you commission.

Agreed. Especially when I was the one who recommended that book to you to begin with ;)

tracker465
United States
Joined 5287 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 15 of 67
10 May 2010 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
brian91 wrote:
Woah that's a long link.

...If that referral was against your associate account, please remember that it's good manners to mention that when you post the link, and offer a non-affiliate link for those who don't want to provide you commission.

?

OUt of curiosity, what does this mean ?
Thanks

When people click on the link to go to view the website, he would make a small percentage of money from it.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5520 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 16 of 67
11 May 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
Datsunking:

Which frecuency dictionary do you have for Spanish?   I see my local Barnes and Noble has one but it's only 5,000 words for about $30.00. 20,000 sounds much better to me as I probably already know the majority of the 5,000.

I keep 2 dictionaries next to me while reading novels. One is a Spanish/English from Oxford which has proved very valuable ($6.00) and the other is pure Spanish by Larousse with more than 50,000 words. It's good, but the print is super tiny ($7.00 paperback).

The idea of a frequency dictionary with 20,000 words used as a separate tool sounds interesting.

To Brian and hyper: I have this one :) I bought it for 50 cents, I had it shipped to my house for less than 4 dollars in GREAT shape.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Language-Dictionary-David-Schuma ker/dp/0517057956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273529169& sr=8-1

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version