15 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 17 of 67
11 May 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
hypersport wrote:
Datsunking:

Which frecuency dictionary do you have for Spanish?   I see my local Barnes and Noble
has one but it's only 5,000 words for about $30.00. 20,000 sounds much better to me as
I probably already know the majority of the 5,000.

I keep 2 dictionaries next to me while reading novels. One is a Spanish/English from
Oxford which has proved very valuable ($6.00) and the other is pure Spanish by Larousse
with more than 50,000 words. It's good, but the print is super tiny ($7.00 paperback).

The idea of a frequency dictionary with 20,000 words used as a separate tool sounds
interesting.

To Brian and hyper: I have this one :) I bought it for 50 cents, I had it shipped to my
house for less than 4 dollars in GREAT shape.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Language-Dictionary-David-Schuma
ker/dp/0517057956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273529169& sr=8-1

I just got a copy for 47p (plus £2.75 postage.) ISBN: 0517262967. Thanks for drawing my
attention to this, datsunking1! UK buyers search Amazon for this ISBN. Some more cheap
copies available!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 18 of 67
11 May 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Oops... sorry... The bit of the URL from "ref=" onwards refers to how you reached the page. Affiliate links have "tag=" in them....
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 19 of 67
11 May 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Oops... sorry... The bit of the URL from "ref=" onwards refers to how you reached the page. Affiliate links have "tag=" in them....

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5520 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 20 of 67
11 May 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Mark88 wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:
hypersport wrote:
Datsunking:

Which frecuency dictionary do you have for Spanish?   I see my local Barnes and Noble
has one but it's only 5,000 words for about $30.00. 20,000 sounds much better to me as
I probably already know the majority of the 5,000.

I keep 2 dictionaries next to me while reading novels. One is a Spanish/English from
Oxford which has proved very valuable ($6.00) and the other is pure Spanish by Larousse
with more than 50,000 words. It's good, but the print is super tiny ($7.00 paperback).

The idea of a frequency dictionary with 20,000 words used as a separate tool sounds
interesting.

To Brian and hyper: I have this one :) I bought it for 50 cents, I had it shipped to my
house for less than 4 dollars in GREAT shape.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Language-Dictionary-David-Schuma
ker/dp/0517057956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273529169& sr=8-1

I just got a copy for 47p (plus £2.75 postage.) ISBN: 0517262967. Thanks for drawing my
attention to this, datsunking1! UK buyers search Amazon for this ISBN. Some more cheap
copies available!

Anytime! I use this dictionary ALL THE TIME.

You can have a very very high fluency with you just have this one dictionary. Probably near native with 20,000 words per language :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5379 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 21 of 67
11 May 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
hypersport wrote:
Datsunking:

Which frecuency dictionary do you have for Spanish?   I see my local Barnes and Noble has one but it's only 5,000
words for about $30.00. 20,000 sounds much better to me as I probably already know the majority of the

I keep 2 dictionaries next to me while reading novels. One is a Spanish/English from Oxford which has proved
very valuable ($6.00) and the other is pure Spanish by Larousse with more than 50,000 words. It's good, but the
print is super tiny ($7.00 paperback).

The idea of a frequency dictionary with 20,000 words used as a separate tool sounds interesting.

To Brian and hyper: I have this one :) I bought it for 50 cents, I had it shipped to my house for less than 4 dollars
in GREAT shape.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Language-Dictionary-David-Schuma ker/dp/0517057956/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273529169& sr=8-1

Thanks, that looks great. I'll try to get it this summer after my exams. :)

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5520 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 22 of 67
12 May 2010 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Brian- Good deal! :D Good luck on your exams... Mine are this week and next week...

Languages> School... :P

But that book is quite compact, a little smaller than a Harry Potter book maybe (not the HUGE ones, the smaller one's like number 3 lol)

It's the one thing I never forget. There are phrases and common idioms in there too. Don't forget your grammar guide to conjugate verbs and put things together properly!

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5383 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 23 of 67
14 May 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
... but estimating a person's active vocabulary is much more difficult
than counting passive words...

would it work if you do your method but other way round: take a monolingual dictionary of
your native language , pick up words randomly and see for how many you are able to give
correct translation?
it wouldn't be perfectly accurate, of course, there are words in one language that are
not present in the others and so on, but maybe it could give some estimation?

just a thought... :)

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5290 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 24 of 67
14 May 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

OK, half way down this fascinating discussion I was about to quote Bolocchians 3 v 16 at you, but you've spotted your own mistake.

I wanted to add to this discussion the point that the big problem with frequency dictionary analysis and word count - especially when comparing between languages or methods - is what does it mean? If we are talking about uninflected languages then the number of individual words is shorter. The original poster referred to Italian, and here it is a problem, because every single verb has umpteen forms, so is that one word or is that umpteen words?

If you use a machine to collate the frequency, then "has", "have" and "had" will all show up as different words. Should it be three or one? In those cases where a noun has 12 separate declined forms in Czech or Polish, is that 12 words or one word? Or is it something in between, with the forms guessable out of usual paradigms being counted as the same, but the irregular parts being considered separate?

And are words like "jack" or "rose" which have so many individual meanings counted as one word or as ten or so words? If a machine does it the count is objective, but again not true to the substance of the matter. If a human intervenes, then subjectivity enters the frame and the way one person collates it may have very different outputs to the way another person would do it.

That's why I take statements like "80% of the words used are in 10,000 words" with a pinch of salt. Assuming the same rules for collation of word variation under headwords apply through the list, it is probably proper to parrot Pareto and say that 20% of the vocabulary gives 80% of the effect, but that is comparing relative numbers to relative numbers, which is probably wiser, and more likely to hold good when comparing different languages together, than comparing absolute numbers to relative numbers.

Edited by Huliganov on 14 May 2010 at 9:13pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version