Groupie
Canada
Joined 5454 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 9 of 27
11 July 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I used mnemonics with Heisig to learn how to write the Kanji, and I'm confident I
wouldn't have been able to learn them as nearly as quickly without. Also, whenever I find
multiple words whose pronunciations I keep confusing, I make a mnemonic to associate the
pronunciation with the meaning, and after that point I tend to never get them confused
again.

As for overrelying on them (as recalling something with a mnemonic does tend to be a
little slower than without) I've found that if you study the information in multiple
contexts you will be able to remember the thing without the mnemonic. Since with language
learning you should see any words you learn in multiple places, I haven't had much
problem with using them.
1 person has voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5725 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 10 of 27
11 July 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Mnemonics are great for lists, like the acronym "Keep pond clean or frogs get sick" for taxonomic ranks in zoology. But natural memory is adequate for learning vocabulary. Creating a mnemonic for every new word turns language learning into a Rube Goldberg machine.
3 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5216 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 11 of 27
11 July 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
remix wrote:
"I don't use them myself, and I've never really felt like they help me to memorize anything." Wow, that actually makes zero sense - how could something help you if you never use it?

They definitely have a place and are more useful in certain languages. Ask anyone who has learned Kanji with Heisig's method, it is a powerful tool, but not the be all end all.

Sorry I should have clarified. I have tried them in the past, they didn't seem to help, only to get in the way, and I don't use them now anymore.

Some excellent points so far though. Just for the record, I don't want to imply that mnemonics can't be a useful tool at all. If they work, great. But for me, they just seem to get in the way. That's my take on it.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 27
12 July 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
I do if I have problems with it. Works fine for me.

patlajan
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 7084 days ago

59 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Turkish
Studies: German, Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 27
13 July 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Mnemonics have their uses: little rhymes for difficult or closely related words, for Chinese and Japanese writing systems, and one I use use in some languages is to tag one article with a musical note, i.e. La La... I think this over time increases the chances of my getting it correct in conversation. The books by Jerry Lucas and Harry Larayne are worth checking out for more on this subject.

Rolf

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4763 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 27
08 September 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Prepositions in German (taking various cases) seem to be appropriate candidates for mnemonics:

http://www.learn-german-smarter.com/learn-German-preposition s.html

Personally, I have problems remembering the mnemonics, but probably, that's just me.

An alternative could be example sentences, but really, that's just another mnemonic isn't it?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 15 of 27
08 September 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Personally, I have problems remembering the mnemonics, but probably, that's just me.

An alternative could be example sentences, but really, that's just another mnemonic isn't it?

I can't remember mnemonics for language-related information either. Sample sentences are different, but only when I learn them with some kind of meaningful context.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 16 of 27
08 September 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I use visual mnemonics to remember kanji and kana. It works for what I need it to do, but I don't rely heavily on it for other things. I am unclear as to how one would otherwise use mnemonics in language learning.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version