Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 17 of 27
08 September 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
My Hebrew teacher gave us a set of mnemonics for about 300 items of vocabulary. He never intended us to use them for every one of the words. The idea was that you learn most of the vocabulary directly, but when there is one of those words that is just difficult (or if you can't remember if it's spelled with an aleph or not), you use the mnemonic. That gets you through vocabulary tests, etc. Once you're actually using the language, it does slow you down initially, but not as much as looking the word up in the dictionary. After a few uses of the word in context, you no longer need the mnemonic.

Personally, I only used the mnemonics to learn about 6-7 of the words, but I was glad I had them available. 18 years later, I still remember:
  • You'll find there's an elf in your matzah ball soup. (Indicates that the verb matza means find, and it's spelled with an aleph).
  • What did the man say when his tent fell on him? (The word for tent is ohel).

(Edited spellings)

Edited by Jeffers on 08 September 2011 at 7:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 18 of 27
09 September 2011 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
I can't say whether a method is "harmful" or not, especially since
some people find them useful, but I have never used mnemonics
as a primary tool. Making them up is too much work to do it all
the time. I prefer to just brute force repetitions in Anki until I learn
a new word and only resort to mnemonics when I feel that two young
cards are interfering significantly. E.g. when similar-looking words
like sentir and sentar show up in Anki around the same time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 27
09 September 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
You'll find there's an elf in your matzah ball soup.

See, I'd be stuck on something in my soup - kill it, kill it! - and then, on the image on having a dead elf in my matzah ball soup (and a lot of the soup on the table), and then a whole array of 'waiter, there's something in my soup' jokes would fight for my attention and then I'd start wondering if the elf is only unconscious, and if you shouldn't call it elf soup now, and whether elves are poisonous, or maybe even tasty, maybe similar to mushrooms, and then I'd think of smurfs and of Gargamel and I'd wonder if Gargamel ever tried to eat smurf soup and ... I could go on forever.
The thing with mnemonics is that they tell a story, and in my mind at least, those stories tend to spin themselves further and further, once I allow them to start.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 20 of 27
09 September 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Jeffers. That made me remember the kind of memory tricks learned in English, such as "There's a rat in separate." It helps me remember to spell it correctly. So yes, I have a few of those tricks after all. I just didn't realize they were considered mnemonics.

starrye
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 27
09 September 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
feanarosurion wrote:
In my opinion, it seems as if mnemonics get in the way of actually knowing a language, and keep the learner in a state of constant translating, which seems like a major block to fluency. However, I'd like to hear some other thoughts on this one.

I think they can indeed start to get in the way, if something has already started to take root in your memory, but then you try to add a mnemonic. It can interfere with the way your mind has already started to organize and remember things.

For instance, I stopped doing Heisig's Remembering the Kanji because of this kind of interference. I knew some Japanese by the time I started the book, so the primitives and English keywords interfered with the way I had already started to remember kanji based on their radicals and associations with Japanese words. I had different associations in my head and it drove me crazy. I still think it's a good book and mnemonic system, but it probably works best if you are starting from scratch with it.

Edited by starrye on 09 September 2011 at 8:37pm

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 22 of 27
09 September 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I think they could be usefull to write.

I remember one for a few french words ending in OU that make their plural with X in stead of S.

Mes choux venez sur mes genoux je chasserai ces hiboux pleins de poux avec ces cailloux

Two for the past time of regular dutch verbs that end in TE in stead of DE

François Kope Prend Son Thé CHaud (for french speaking students)
'T KoFSCHiP (for all - this word does not exist but sound a little dutch)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 27
10 September 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Thanks, Jeffers. That made me remember the kind of memory tricks learned in English, such as "There's a rat in separate." It helps me remember to spell it correctly. So yes, I have a few of those tricks after all. I just didn't realize they were considered mnemonics.

Mnemonics are any thing you use to remember something. Some people think mnemonics are the complicated things like, to remember that French for horse is cheval, I think of a man (because the word is masculine) on a horse carrying a shovel. However, if remember a word because it sounds like another word, that's still a mnemonic. For example, I learnt vous avez and nous avon because they sound like a French person would say "have" (dropping the h).

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6020 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 24 of 27
10 September 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I view them as temporary place-holders. Ideally speaking, once you've gathered enough experience with the languages these mnemonics get replaced by familiar patterns. I use them quite often in the beginning of learning a language when everything is still so "foreign". After time they become less of a tool. I agree with some posters that they are most useful for triggering spelling or pronunication. I absolutely can't imagine using them to recall words out of the blue, but students do it all the time for tests.

They're not very efficient if you latch on too hard, but they can certainly help get you over any sort of brain-lapse during a test.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version