Sin_Nombre
United States
Joined 5070 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 14
08 May 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
This could very well have been posted before, and I may just be too inept to properly use the search function. If that's the case, please forgive me. Anyway, I've been using Assimil for a month now and it seems to be yielding good results. Recently I decided that I'd like to start using the free FSI courses presented on their website as well. Last night I downloaded the PDF workbook for unit 1 and gave it a try, but I was terribly lost. I couldn't find particularly detailed instructions on how to use the courses, so I was hoping that someone here might help shed some light on the issue for me. Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5010 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 14
09 May 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
To use the FSI courses effecively you need to memorise the initial dialog for each lesson, then follow each drill in the book, while listening and giving the responses. After the first run through of each drill, re-read out loud the sentences contained in the drill and finally do the drill again without looking in the book. You want to aim for at least a 90% accuracy rate before moving onto the next drill. You will probably be pretty close to 100% accuracy most of the time so you won't need to repeat many drills.

I think I read these instructions in the Czech course on the FSI website, but I'm not sure. I hope this helps anyway.

Edit (10/5): I found the notes I took for the FSI instructions.
- Repeat dialog up to 'Role Play' until the dialog is memorised and fluet (the first repetition should be done with the book closed).
- Complete Role Play' until it is free and comes from memory.

Drills - Listen to drill and repeat with the book closed
- Read aloud from book
- Re-listen and complete the drill with the book closed

Sorry for the slightly incorrect information yesterday.

I purchased the books 'Mastering French I & II' because I like to add notes and didn't want to print hundreds of pages. These book only include lessons 1 - 12, so for 13 - 24 I sent a copy of the PDF to Lulu and had them print a book for me. This was cheaper for me than paying for the paper and ink cartridges for my own printer, plus it used less paper.

Edited by RogerK on 10 May 2011 at 9:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Louis
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5665 days ago

92 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 14
10 May 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I know it's up to personal preference, but do you guys print out the FSI .pdfs, or do you just keep it open in a .pdf reader like Foxit or Adobe? I find that I am a lot more comfortable and productive if I am using something tangible... a physical resource.

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 14
10 May 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
I'm using FSI for learning Chinese, and it's been good for me so far (no Chinese character writing, by the way)

The instructions on how to use FSI, in my case, was given in the very first pdf files. Did you check the first few pages of the very first lesson? (Probably under "Preface", "About the Course")

Anyway, I usually follow this order, given in one of the materials,: C-1, P-1, C-2, P-2 and then Drill. The "C-1", "P-2" things refer to the FSI audio file names.

pfn123
Australia
Joined 5018 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 

Message 5 of 14
10 May 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
RogerK wrote:
I purchased the books 'Mastering French I & II' because I like to add notes and didn't want to print hundreds of pages. These book only include lessons 1 - 12, so for 13 - 24 I sent a copy of the PDF to Lulu and had them print a book for me. This was cheaper for me than paying for the paper and ink cartridges for my own printer, plus it used less paper.

I really want to do this. Did you have to reformat it to suit Lulu's template, or were you able to use the pdf just as it is (I presume you downloaded it from fsi-language-courses)?

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4867 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 14
07 June 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
RogerK wrote:
To use the FSI courses effecively you need to memorise the initial dialog for each lesson, then follow each drill in the book, while listening and giving the responses. After the first run through of each drill, re-read out loud the sentences contained in the drill and finally do the drill again without looking in the book. You want to aim for at least a 90% accuracy rate before moving onto the next drill. You will probably be pretty close to 100% accuracy most of the time so you won't need to repeat many drills.
I think I read these instructions in the Czech course on the FSI website, but I'm not sure. I hope this helps anyway.
Edit (10/5): I found the notes I took for the FSI instructions.
- Repeat dialog up to 'Role Play' until the dialog is memorised and fluet (the first repetition should be done with the book closed).
- Complete Role Play' until it is free and comes from memory.
Drills - Listen to drill and repeat with the book closed
- Read aloud from book
- Re-listen and complete the drill with the book closed

then when can i open my book?
2 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6292 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 7 of 14
07 June 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Sin_Nombre wrote:
Last night I downloaded the PDF workbook for unit 1 and gave it a try, but I was terribly lost. I couldn't find particularly detailed instructions on how to use the courses,

It would really help if you told us which course you're looking at.

Spanish Programmatic?
Spanish Basic?
French Basic?

Then we could use specific Unit 1 examples of how to use it, what to do with the drills, etc.

Edit: Oops, I see you posted this a month ago. What's your current status with FSI? You're well on your way, it's in a holding pattern, you decided not to use it, or what?

Edited by TerryW on 07 June 2011 at 12:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5500 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 14
10 June 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I also sent the PDF of French 13-24 to Lulu and got a nice book back....

If you are happy for the book to be in American Letter sized paper there is no need to resize - you get a nice 'school textbook' size book back. If you want to resize (say to get it in the Barron's size) you have to have a program that can resize PDFs.

If anyone knows how to do it - I have a an old copy of Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro but have no idea how you rescale a page - anyone here know?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version