Joined 5010 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 14
10 June 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:

RogerK wrote:
To use the FSI courses effecively you need to memorise the initial dialog for each lesson, then follow each drill in the book, while listening and giving the responses. After the first run through of each drill, re-read out loud the sentences contained in the drill and finally do the drill again without looking in the book. You want to aim for at least a 90% accuracy rate before moving onto the next drill. You will probably be pretty close to 100% accuracy most of the time so you won't need to repeat many drills.
I think I read these instructions in the Czech course on the FSI website, but I'm not sure. I hope this helps anyway.
Edit (10/5): I found the notes I took for the FSI instructions.
- Repeat dialog up to 'Role Play' until the dialog is memorised and fluet (the first repetition should be done with the book closed). After the first repetition you should open your book.
- Complete Role Play' until it is free and comes from memory.
Drills - Listen to drill and repeat with the book closed
- Read aloud from book ]I think this means read aloud from the book, ie. with the book open
- Re-listen and complete the drill with the book closed

then when can i open my book?

My apoligies when the instructions weren't clear enough regarding the use of the book. I would have thought when I wrote 'Read aloud from the book', I meant to say 'you should open the book and read from it'. Sorry for the confusion.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4867 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 14
17 August 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
is this means i have to go through the drills three times?
1 person has voted this message useful

RogerK
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5010 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 14
17 August 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
is this means i have to go through the drills three times?

Yes, once with the book closed, then open and then the third repetition with the book closed again.

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4867 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 14
18 August 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Thank you. And obviousoy I didn't do it enough ……

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 13 of 14
18 August 2011 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
By the way, has anyone of you tried shadowing with FSI materials?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
18 August 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
I think how you use it depends on your familiarity with the language. I'm currently on Lesson 7, French Volume I, and doing each drill three times sounds like a deathly bore!   I also wonder if not moving on until a dialogue is accurately memorized sets you up to fail by setting the bar impossibly high. I like what Pimsleur recommends, and apply it to all methods: move forward if you achieve 80% accuracy.

The first tape of each lesson reviews the dialogue about five or six times. Sometimes you take the part of a different speaker. This seems to be plenty. And the drills themselves are repetitive enough that I feel that I've done them successfully if I 'get it' a third of the way through.

The only lessons that I've found that really require repeat listening are the last tapes of each chapter, which offer an integrated review of all lessons to date.

- The Arabic course and FAST courses seem to be structured differently, so I'm not sure how I'd work those. And my rapid method might not work for a language that was less familiar to me than the Romance languages.

Edited by kanewai on 18 August 2011 at 5:39am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version