Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 5252 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
13 June 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I have found a website that is supposed to be used for people wanting a talking animated character for their website, but thanks to the addtion of many different languages and voices, it can be used to give pronounciations of foreign words .
Its like microsoft sam but way better quality

Here is the link:
http://www.sitepal.com/ttswidgetdemo/

Has anyone used it?
im keen to hear your feedback.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 10
13 June 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
The speech synthesis at www.ivona.com is a bit more natural sounding to my ear, but they don't have as many languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5282 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 10
06 August 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but only today have I had the time to check out the two websites.

I totally agree with Cainntear about the ivona text-to-speech sounding more natural, but what really disappointed me in the SitePal programme is that you can’t use the word ‘ho’ in your text even if you set your language to Italian (I wanted to evaluate the service in a language I’m sure I can judge).

I realize that they want to prevent the misuse of their software, given what ‘ho’ sounds like in English, but it really doesn’t make much sense to stop its use in other languages. In Italian ‘ho’ is the very common verb ‘I have’ and it’s necessary as an auxiliary verb in many/most sentences dealing with actions in the past (1st person singular).

If they censure ‘ho’ in Italian, I wonder how many other ‘innocent’ words are blocked in other languages. They need to reconsider how they filter the words they don’t want to be used, so that they are blocked only in language-specific settings and not across the board. As it is now this software risks being unusable.

2 persons have voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 4 of 10
24 August 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
IVONA disappointed me a little. The TTS software can't pronounce "penchant" in English.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 5 of 10
24 August 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
misslanguages wrote:
IVONA disappointed me a little. The TTS software can't pronounce "penchant" in English.
The Dictionary in my computer gives the word two nasal syllables… It’s one really to expect an English
voice to be able to pronounce french?

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 6 of 10
24 August 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
It's not a French word.
It's an English word. I'm currently studying SAT vocabulary and I needed to have it pronounced.

starrye
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 10
24 August 2011 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
If you really need to have an English word pronounced, you could always try Forvo.com? In fact "penchant" may already be there since it isn't that uncommon... I use that site all the time for Japanese words. There are a few regulars there who seem to always record my word within 24 hours, tops. Which is pretty good considering the time difference when I usually post.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 8 of 10
25 August 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if there is an agreed pronunciation for penchant. According to the Oxford English dictionary, penchant came into English from French back in the 17th century. Many people pronounce it in a French way, others pronounce it like pen-chin-t, or some other variant.

Here it is on forvo.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version