Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishB2
Studies: French

Message 1 of 55
20 June 2011 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Sometimes we have a long list of vocabulary words to memorize ,especially when learning a second language,memorization could be even harder. I usually use the most stupid way,I memorize new words over and over again untill I'll never forget them.
What can you do to make memorization easier?

3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5501 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 2 of 55
20 June 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
The way I tend to learn vocabulary is by writing and thinking in the language. If I come across a new word whilst
reading, I'll write it down and then look it up later and add it to Anki (with example sentences). However atleast
every 2 days I try and write something in my languages, about whichever subject or what's on my mind at that
present time. Whilst doing this I try to incorporate some of those newly discovered words, as by me physically using
them and having them associated with others which I already know, my mind seems to hold on to the new words far
better. Also by writing and then reading over out loud what you've written, you make the most of many different
sensory mediums which all aid to make memorisation a lot stronger and longer lasting.
Reading books by the same author is also a good way to encounter similar words over and over again, and in
context. Which is by far the most important thing.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4998 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 3 of 55
20 June 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Right now I'm focusing mostly on grammar, so vocabulary isn't my biggest priority. However, I find I memorize new words much better when I see them in context rather than on a flash card. It's much more fun singing song lyrics and acting out dialogues than repeating the same word again. I've learned words through flash cards, though, and it does work for me. Also, to reinforce words sometimes I replace them while I'm thinking or speaking English and Spanish. To see the object or do the action just makes the word stick better.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 20 June 2011 at 6:51am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 55
20 June 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Generally speaking I can't memorize words without having written them. So the first step for me is always copying the new unknown words from the list in the textbook into my vocabulary book with the German (or Dutch or English) translation. Then I learn them several times, by highlighting the important words and the difficult words in a special way. Repetition is an important factor when learning vocabulary. You cannot memorize a row of words in only one go. So you have to repeat new words several times to memorize more and more of them.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 20 June 2011 at 6:52pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5050 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 5 of 55
20 June 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I think my methods might differ depending on the language. For example, my vocabulary work is currently all Esperanto, so the words are almost effortless for me to learn. If they're almost the same as the English words (like "birdo" = "bird"), I just put it straight in Anki, and that works for me because it's obvious, so I'm not going to look at "birdo" and not know what it means. For less obvious words, I do something akin to Iversen's word list method, and then put them in Anki.

If the language I was studying was one with really alien words, this might not be sufficient, but with Esperanto it's plenty.
1 person has voted this message useful

liuzf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 6 of 55
21 June 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Different people have different ways for memorizing vocabularies. Fasulye 's way of memorizing new unknown words is quite popular around my friends, Ido think I can take that way.

JordanB8m
Hong Kong
Joined 4856 days ago

23 posts - 27 votes

Message 7 of 55
21 June 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
liuzf wrote:
Different people have different ways for memorizing vocabularies. Fasulye 's way of memorizing new unknown words is quite popular around my friends, Ido think I can take that way.

What exactly is "Fasulye 's way of memorizing new unknown words"?

liuzf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 8 of 55
21 June 2011 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
You can see Fasulye's post(the forth post):"copying the new unknown words from the list in the textbook into my vocabulary book with the German (or Dutch or English) translation".I think you maight not see all the posts and misunderstood me.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version