55 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 33 of 55
27 July 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
chrisphillips71 wrote:
ScottScheule,
Are you aware that you can use the googletts app to add audio to each card automatically?
If not, send me a message and I will explain to you how to do it. It took me a while to
figure it out, though once I figured it out, it was very easy. While you only hear a
computer synthesized pronuniciation, the audio is pretty good and the process is much
easier than downloading each audio track.

I did not, thank you. I think I'll stick to Forvo though, as I want to hear native speakers.
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 34 of 55
27 July 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

slucido wrote:
Mere Repetition= learning languages

Mere repetition = a lamentable waste of your time
Spread-out repetition = an indispensable part of learning languages

Spread-out repetition is just a way of mere repetition.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 35 of 55
06 August 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I read novels in the target language. As I read, I circle the words I don"t know in pencil, but continue reading. At the end of the chapter, I make a list on a piece of paper of the words in that chapter I didn't get. Then I make flashcards for them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 55
06 August 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Iversen wrote:

slucido wrote:
Mere Repetition= learning languages

Mere repetition = a lamentable waste of your time
Spread-out repetition = an indispensable part of learning languages

Spread-out repetition is just a way of mere repetition.

No, because with spread-out repetition you have done other things in between. With "mere" repetitionh you just set something in your brain spinning, and it carries on and on without any appreciable effort. Therefore 100 repetitions aren't 100 times as affective as one. With space in between you have to restart that little spinning thing (dragging something back from oblivion), and that's why spaced repetations are more effective.
5 persons have voted this message useful

floydak
Tetraglot
Groupie
Slovakia
Joined 4789 days ago

60 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 37 of 55
11 August 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
what about recording those words to your mp3 player and then listen to them every moment
possible?

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5163 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 38 of 55
11 August 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, I think you and slucido are just defining words differently, not disagreeing.

floydak, that sounds like a strange idea. Do you mean just listening to lists of words? That doesn't sound particularly useful--better, I think, to listen to actual texts in the language.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 39 of 55
11 August 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I read novels in the target language. As I read, I circle the words I don"t know in pencil, but continue reading. At the end of the chapter, I make a list on a piece of paper of the words in that chapter I didn't get. Then I make flashcards for them.

I've done this, too, in Finnish with trashy romance novels and the entire set of Narnia books. It's a great tool. I don't feel so bad writing in paperback books.

I also do a think that Iverson mentioned: word association.
When I was trying to memorize the Japanese word "ikura" (how much?) it reminded me of the Finnish word "ikkuna" (window). So I made a mental association of looking in a shop window and wondering how much something cost.

Actually, a lot of my learning/memorization goes through other languages I've learned instead of my native language. As I am currently focusing on Japanese, most of my thinking through the language is filtered through Spanish (first foreign language I learned) and Finnish (best foreign language I know).

TrentBooks
Triglot
Groupie
United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4789 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 40 of 55
11 August 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
A lot of great stuff in the comments of this post. The best way I have found to remember vocabulary words is to use that word in a meaningful way somehow. To reach fluency, you need to be able to think in that language, so creating meaningful associations becomes really important. Eventually you will reach a point that you want to convey an object or concept to a person and you reach in your memory files for the right word to express it. When that word is the vocabulary you have studied (instead of your native language, which you then translate to the new vocabulary word), you know you're approaching fluency. Strictly memorizing vocabulary leads to constant internal translation during conversation, which is not a real sign of fluency. The only way I know to overcome this is to create meaningful associations between objects/concepts and the new vocabulary (as opposed to creating associations between two words of different languages), which I believe also helps speed up the memorization process. The benefits are two fold.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version