France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 41 of 55
21 August 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I love flash cards. I don't use SRS programs, because I don't like sitting in front of the computer for hours.
I try to use spaced repetition with regular flash cards. That is, I don't review the words I learned that much. I wait a few days in between each repetition.
1 person has voted this message useful

eyyamguder
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4790 days ago

8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: French

Message 42 of 55
29 August 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I've improved my English vocabulary mostly by reading. I was reading exhaustively on
very diverse subjects and as i read i was noting every single word which i did not
know. Then after a day's read, i was copying these words to a notebook with English
meanings and before going to sleep i was reading them repeatedly and trying to guess
their meaning.

I think for language acquisition the most important factor is be able to
get free from other more familiar language's mindset, try to think on target language
without making references to the more familiar language. Of course initially it's
natural and inevitable using another language as a tool or a reference point to reach
to a base level necessary for breaking free from that tool but after that point has
been reached it's a crucial thing not to mixing that language to the process of
advancing on the target language and extensive vocabulary learning is one of those
advanced processes. So it's much more efficient learning words by their English
dictionary explanations and with a few exemplary sentences to put to word on context
rather than with just the most-time-not-exactly-equivalent translations of them.

Edited by eyyamguder on 29 August 2011 at 5:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6792 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 44 of 55
31 August 2011 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
I use Anki on my iPhone and reading. I read as much as I possibly can.

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 45 of 55
31 August 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
I think extensive reading/listening and writing are the best proactive ways to learn more vocabulary.

Then, using (computer) flashcards helps remember learned vocabulary more quickly as it maximizes memorization through spaced repetition.

NameOfUser
Joined 4769 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 46 of 55
31 August 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello,everyone,this is my first post,and this will relate to my biggest porblem and drawback in learning languages-the vocabulary memorization.I wondered if it is possible to distinguish between certain groups of vocabulary items,based on their relation to foreign languages,their construction-by this I mean the application of suffixal and prefixal morphology in formation of new words,etc. instead of distinguishing between groups of vocabulary based on sole criteria of use:words for animals,furniture,etc.I thought this was strongly related to this topic,and that opening a new one would be a misuse of forum space.Thanks in advance.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 47 of 55
06 September 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
When I get stuck on a particular word, I find it helps to memorize a short sentence using that word. Once I have learnt the sentence, I find the word on it's own is easier to remember.

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 48 of 55
12 September 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
misslanguages wrote:
I love flash cards. I don't use SRS programs, because I don't like sitting in front of the computer for hours.
I try to use spaced repetition with regular flash cards. That is, I don't review the words I learned that much. I wait a few days in between each repetition.

Me neither. Thank Damien for Ankidroid. :)

Aside from that, I'm experimenting with the Gold List method and it seems to be working well so far. Still, while reading beats everything in my book, I find listening more useful for reinforcing what I already know rather than for learning it in the first place.

Edited by amethyst32 on 12 September 2011 at 11:27am

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version