L-R

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 17 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
I'm a great advocate of using audio-books for foreign language study and have long done so in my own way. I'd be eager to participate in discussions about L-R save for one thing: the fact that we're not allowed to know the gender of its primary theoretician. What's with this quirky s/he business? How irksome and awkward to read and write and refer to! Why the mystery? Is it a hermaphrodite?
1 person has voted this message useful

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 18 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Why would s/he bother to post his/her gender? Is it really relevant? Please do not trash my thread with something like this.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 19 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Yes, it is relevant as it is a very worthwhile topic to discuss. Everywhere else in the world and on this forum we refer to people in English as he or she. This is the only case of deliberately mystifying that basic fact, which makes it unnecessarily awkward to write about the technique. It's hard to take seriously a sentence saying "s/he says..." when we are writing about a known individual. We only do that when we are trying our very hardest to be politically correct and inclusive about unknown individuals or people in general.

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 

Message 20 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
If you worry about it that much please message him/her other than please stop posting here unless you have something relevant to the topic discussion. I am sorry for sounding like a butt but I don't want my thread being littered by this. No hurt feelings?

3 persons have voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 

Message 21 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
No, hurt feelings! This is a public forum, not "your" thread!

The whole reason I started posting here is because I do have a great deal that is very relevant to the topic under discussion, but I won't do so under ridiculous circumstances, such as referring to someone as s/he over a five year period.

And, I can't message "it" because "it" has long since been banned from this forum under every single guise under which "it" repeatedly appeared since, apart from contributing this valuable technique, "it" was incredibly and hatefully aggressive in personally attacking other forum members.

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 

Message 22 of 29
07 August 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
OH?! I was unaware "it" was banned. Well looks like we'll just refer to her as "it" from now on... isn't that unfortunate. And you have a point it is a public forum... sorry for that.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6314 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 29
07 August 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Let's not derail the thread any further. As fascinating as it may seem to some, it's not really relevant to L-R.
4 persons have voted this message useful

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 

Message 24 of 29
08 August 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
I have another question about L-R. When I'm doing this I seem to remember the story in English, if you know what I
mean. Should I be remembering it in French? And also, when I'm reading I don't seem to hear the verbs very well I
mostly hear a lot of nouns... the verbs seem to be slurred a bit (this might have to do with the literary tenses). Will
all of this get better with time as I keep working on this method? I'll try to do as many hours a day as I can but right
now I'm doing about 1.5 hours a day... I feel I am making good progress though, and I plan to go over the book a
few times and I'll see if that helps also another time through the book should I use the French as my text instead of
the English?

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version