Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 13
17 August 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Thoughts to help you refine your plan:

floydak wrote:
When I came to spain, I was practically unable to understand a spoken word. I knew a lot of vocabulary, I handled grammar, but I was totaly unused to hear spoken Spanish.

So I'm about to try something much more different. I'm going to listen a lot to french speech. I have a textbook withrecordings, but I'll try to skip(to the degree most posible) grammar and I'll listen every recording more times (indeed many times) a day.

It's commonly thought that listening leads to better speaking, but my experience tells me it's the other way around. Obviously, you need to listen to some native material, but take that material, repeat it, say it outloud and make it yours. Then play with it, turn it around, twist it around, use it to your advantage to express the things that matter in your life. Listening only does NOT lead to better speaking abilities. In turn, you will understand anything you can comfortably say.

floydak wrote:
Do you thing that an adult can also learn language "naturally" by virtually only listening to it?

There is nothing natural about only listening to a language. Communication requires that we make an effort to express ourselves. Production is an essential part of learning to speak a language.

There are many things adult learners do much better and faster than children, but we don't have 24/7 teachers listening to our every word for years and we have limited time to devote to the task. But unlike children, we are able to talk about fairly complex topics right soon after we begin learning. Use that to your advantage.

floydak wrote:
I'll listen to french recordings, but (since I have trancripts) I'll translate it.

What do you expect to gain from translating it? The ultimate goal is to understand language and know how to reply or contribute. If you understand it, there is no point in writing down in another language, is there?

Edited by Arekkusu on 17 August 2011 at 5:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

floydak
Tetraglot
Groupie
Slovakia
Joined 4789 days ago

60 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 10 of 13
17 August 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu I agree with you in all points. About translating - I meant translate it in my
head- just to be able to understand to that text. Of course not to write it down..

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 13
17 August 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
floydak wrote:
Arekkusu I agree with you in all points. About translating - I meant translate it in my
head- just to be able to understand to that text. Of course not to write it down..

Many people complain that they are unable to stop translating -- so I certainly wouldn't want to encourage you to do that! However, the other way around would be a good idea: take a recording or a text and translate it orally into your target language. You'll know right away what words or grammar you are missing and you will eventually patch every hole.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 13
17 August 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
floydak wrote:
There exist this "no pain no gain" idiom and I don't believe in magical techniques
offered on various internet sites which claim to learn language effortless. When you
are motivated, you would make this effort with a big smile on your face:)

Really effective learning is effortless. The brain is built for learning, and if something's painful, it's not working with the brain, but against it.

I'm lucky enough to have had a few teachers in different subjects that made learning easy, and I'm lucky enough to have read several instructional books that also make understanding easy.

But that's not to say that "easy=good", because some stuff is only easy because it doesn't teach anything difficult or important.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 13
21 August 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm all for extensive listening. You can't learn a language unless you hear it spoken by native speakers a lot. Listening should be your top priority if you're a beginner.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version