Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 8
13 August 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Everyone knows that while learning vocabulary it's good to link the new ones with the words from our mother tongue (and not only) to memorize them better. It's easy - German schrecklich we colligate with Shrek, Indonesian cinta with cent etc.
But my question is - what to do, when some words remind you NOTHING you've known/learned before? Do you have any working method for such situations?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 8
13 August 2011 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Have you tried the linkword method? Here's another example.
1 person has voted this message useful

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 3 of 8
14 August 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
But my question is - what to do, when some words remind you NOTHING you've known/learned before? Do you have any working method for such situations?

That's was my problem with this method and others like it. They're meant to be fun and easy, but in my view they don't work well mainly because of this problem you describe. The way I got over it was to recognize that this is precisely the limitation of these types of methods, and that it was, on the whole, easier and faster to learn vocabulary through exposure.

Edited by amethyst32 on 14 August 2011 at 11:57am

zonius
Triglot
Israel
Joined 4997 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
14 August 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:

Try to split the target word in two, see if the halves remind you of some familiar words. Use other languages - the halves of the target word can remind you of words in different languages. Maybe see if you can associate the beginning of the target word with something (it'll trigger the memory and the end of the word will hopefully also spring to mind)

Anyway, when it's very difficult to come up with a memorable association, consider learning this word by rote memorization - it might be actually easier in some cases.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 8
14 August 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
In general, with completely "foreign" words, I like to learn the root form and the affixes that make a particular form.

I wouldn't want to learn (for example) "campanology" without knowing that "-ology" was the study or art of something.

Once you reduce things to roots and affixes, they get easier to remember.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 8
14 August 2011 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I learn strange new words just by putting them into a sentence, or preferably three or four sentences, and using those sentences as practice drill for my pronunciation. I learn what it means by "feeling" the meaning in a context and I don't even try to link it to a word in my native language.

Of course everyone needs to find what works best for them.

--gary

starrye
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 8
15 August 2011 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Are there other related words in the target language that can point you towards the meaning, or maybe a short definition that can remind you of it's meaning? What about using a sentence? Sometimes hard to translate words are easier to understand when you see them in a sentence... Sometimes if I can't find a good way to define or translate something, I'll just try to come up with a mental image of the sort of situation/feeling that the word gives. Sometimes it starts as just a vague feeling that becomes clearer over time as I grow to know the word better.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5663 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 8 of 8
28 August 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
amethyst32 wrote:
prz_ wrote:

That's was my problem with this method and others like it. They're meant to be fun and easy, but in my view they don't work well mainly because of this problem you describe. The way I got over it was to recognize that this is precisely the limitation of these types of methods, and that it was, on the whole, easier and faster to learn vocabulary through exposure.

The limitations lie in one's imagination not the method. Some words might not seem that easy but they're exceptions.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version