Edited by Michel1020 on 19 August 2011 at 5:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5065 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 18 of 33
19 August 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Record yourselve speaking in your target language - then listen to it. Do you understand what you said ? Does it sound natural or does it sound like a new language you just invented that you are the only one able to understand ?

Totally disagree with this. We tend to gloss over our own imperfections. Getting a native speaker or speakers to check your speech and conversational abilities is much more productive, particularly in the beginning.

Groups have their merits, as long as you're about the same speaking level as the rest of the group. Differing opinions, differing views - they can prove useful for keeping a discussion moving.

R.
==

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 19 of 33
19 August 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
No problems to read alone or to listen to native speaking in radio, movies, tv series, podcasts and so on.

I see few advantages to have your writings corrected by a group more than by one person - in both cases you do not need to stay side by side with your correcter.

If you want to test your speaking skill you do not need a students group for that. Either test yourselve in situation or self test yourselve. Record yourselve speaking in your target language - then listen to it. Do you understand what you said ? Does it sound natural or does it sound like a new language you just invented that you are the only one able to understand ?

If you need help you can ask one or more natives - but they do not need to be in the same place at the same time - there is not need for a group.

I too disagree with you, actually.

First, there is no point in asking a group to correct your writing, I agree; this kind of group is intended for oral practice.

Second, you seem to be saying that no interaction with native speakers is necessary, that you can just listen to recordings and you'll get better, that you already know all you need to correct yourself.

The fact that you can understand yourself is absolutely no indication that you are speaking correctly -- or even that a native speaker would understand you. Reading alone or watching TV is no indication that you truly understand, and much less that you could efficiently talk about it.

And finally, learning how to speak efficiently goes far beyond the scope of a few self-administered tests. It's a very elusive endeavour to try to feel how native speakers would express something naturally, and getting it right is a lengthy process of trial and error. A process that requires extensive interaction with natives.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 20 of 33
19 August 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I agree interaction with people is the final test.

But for learning I am a lot better using recordings than participating in learning groups.

If I do not understand somebody in a group I may ask him to repeat slowly one time - two time if he is patient.
With recordings I listen as many times as I need - up to the moment my mp3 or my brain need new fuel. If I am tired I stop and come back later.

Also the conversations in a group are limited in number of speakers and subjects- There are no limites to the number of people and subjects I listen to in my recordings.

Of course I get a lot of recordings because I am learning Spanish - but if you are learning a language that provides less material you will also have more problems to find a group in this language.

As for self-testing my speaking skill. As soon as my listening skill is good enough I should have no problem. If I should have any doubt I could get some native help but no need of a group for that.

Anyway I am more a listener than a speaker even in french.

(Many people should self-test their skill speaking their native language.)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 21 of 33
19 August 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
If I do not understand somebody in a group I may ask him to repeat slowly one time - two time if he is patient.

A language exchange group is focused on learning from eachother and helping eachother. Getting people to repeat is not an issue.

Michel1020 wrote:

Also the conversations in a group are limited in number of speakers and subjects- There are no limites to the number of people and subjects I listen to in my recordings

There is an element I think you should consider: as humans, we are hard-wired to learn language from other humans. Not only from visual or auditory clues, but through holistic experiences that involve every part of your physical and cognitive being. I think you might be underestimating the power of learning from interaction with other humans rather than with a machine. These tools are perfect for when human interaction is not available, but they are no substitute.

Edited by Arekkusu on 19 August 2011 at 7:00pm

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 22 of 33
19 August 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
   as humans, we are hard-wired to learn language from other humans. Not only from visual or auditory clues, but through holistic experiences that involve every part of your physical and cognitive being. I think you might be underestimating the power of learning from interaction with other humans rather than with a machine. These tools are perfect for when human interaction is not available, but they are no substitute.

The human part for me consist in listening to people recordings, not to tts files.

I could link some new sounds to the smell of a hot chocolate that I am cooking for my next break or with the taste of it. As for the things I touch - I have more freedom in private environment.

My cognitive being is the same if I listen to mp3 or if I meet people - it only evolves with time.

Time to cook and eat - no time to go deeper now.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 33
22 August 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
I have one suggestion which might help with beginner-intermediate: conversation cards. A conversation card would be based on a topic, and have a list of set phrases and idioms, as well as vocabulary which would typically be used in a conversation around the topic. Small groups would grab a card, and discuss on the card's topic, referring to the vocabulary list when needed.

If you or anybody else makes any conversation cards like this, let me know, because I would like using them!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 24 of 33
22 August 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I have one suggestion which might help with beginner-intermediate: conversation cards. A conversation card would be based on a topic, and have a list of set phrases and idioms, as well as vocabulary which would typically be used in a conversation around the topic. Small groups would grab a card, and discuss on the card's topic, referring to the vocabulary list when needed.

If you or anybody else makes any conversation cards like this, let me know, because I would like using them!

Interesting idea! This also led me to a different idea: you could pass around cards that indicate a profession, and others need to find out what profession that is by asking questions.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version