Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 33 of 33
26 August 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
What I have found really helpful in our language meetups is the presence of native who act as monitors. They help to keep the conversation going and to correct glaring mistakes or help users find the right word or phrasing. Mind you, it must not be disruptive. Just a little nudge in the right direction. In my opinion this is important because it helps the learners avoid reinforcing mistakes or even learning new mistakes by listening to other learners. Along the same lines, it's very instructive to have two (or more) native speakers present because you can observe how they interact and then add your two cents worth. Then the conversation really get going. I believe strongly in imitating native speakers; so I try to pattern my speech on what I hear around me.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version