fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 46
24 August 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Of course.
I watched Teletubbies and other children's shows for ages in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 10 of 46
24 August 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I think that Cartoon Network has helped me a bit in my early childhood.
Well, I think it depends on the book. Everything what can be helpful is useful.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 46
26 August 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
When I was learning Hindi, I bought children's books as often as I could. I had a
shelf where I arranged them by difficulty, and worked through most of them. I found it
to be both helpful and interesting. Even better is when you can find a book with
audio. I listened to a few Hindi books dozens of times.

Possibly more helpful is learning material for young teens. Most tenses would be used,
and a more adult vocabulary, but the language is still simpler than fully adult
writing. Langenscheidt publishes a good series of booklets of detective stories,
called Klara & Theo. They come in three levels, and many of them come with a mini CD.

Kid's materials may be too simple at times, and they may have odd vocabulary, but they
can be a good way to ramp yourself up to adult materials. I would suggest using simple
kid's books once you have a grasp of basic grammar--perhaps halfway through a
beginner's book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5500 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 46
26 August 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
If you want 'useful' vocabulary get a phrasebook. If you want to read/hear in your target language from the beginning read childrens' books or watch children's videos.

Babar, Tin Tin, Asterix and the French version of the Mr Men and Little Miss series gave me a ton of essential French vocabulary early on, gave me painless experience with the passe simple and the literary uses of the subjunctive and were, well, fun and quick. Babar films gave me listening experience later on.

Likewise, in German kiddies programs like Trotro and Jim Knopf and Lukas were immeasurable help (although my 2 1/2 year bilingual son gave me a running commentary in English as to what was being said in German on that one). I personally have got a great deal out of reading children's books in my target language.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 13 of 46
26 August 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention Lyric Language, which I used a long time ago for German, and now have started using for French. They are a set of songs sung bilinguaglly; a line is sung in French, then repeated in English. The music is a bit naff, and the children who are singing are often a bit off, but it is very effective. I put the German lyrics into my vocab software and the total vocabulary is about 450 words, if I remember correctly. Since it is for learning, many of the songs are on topics like "At the Zoo", "At the Supermarket", "The Days of the Week", etc. After listening a couple of times, you begin to sing along with L2, and the words really do stick. A useful supplement in your first few months of study.

I can't believe I didn't mention it before, but I guess I was thinking of native children's material only. Unfortunately, I think it is currently out of print.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5510 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 14 of 46
27 August 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I think that children's books are useful in that they provide one with culture. By
watching Soviet-era cartoons, I am learning what all the kids who grew up in the Soviet
Union and are in their 20's & 30's (my age) grew up with. I can better understand any
odd cultural reference that make. When looking for children's materials with
French/Russian I look for books or cartoons that I would have grown up with had
I lived in a country where my target language is/was spoken.

However, I only look at "older" books/cartoons(I love youtube)for Indo-European
languages as they are closer to my native languages. The reason is that comprehension
is relatively easier and the cultural framework will be relatively closer. For
languages like Mandarin or Turkish I tend to stick to adult materials as I feel that
the time I would invest acquiring the a cultural reference could be better invested in
expanding my vocabulary (including idioms), as with these languages I am starting from
scratch.

English/Spanish/French/Russian: My/Mi/Mon/Мой

Turkish/Mandarin...Cognate? Not so much: Benim/ 我的(Wǒ de)

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 15 of 46
02 September 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
I hope we all agree we do not learn language from one source only. Children books are one source among many.

I intend to try to read one or two or more children books from http://www.childrenslibrary.org/ - since they are published there in a not editable format - I will have to retype the texts which will be a good training.

I do not know yet about the quality but when you read adult books you do not know about the quality either. One very positive point of children books is they are shorter. Other advantage there is no sex, well when the prince kiss the Sleeping Beauty this is sex.

I am not very interested in understanding sex dialogues in my target language. Sex is something to be done - not something to talk about. I would love to talk to my sexual partners but not about sex. Since those women could be divorced and have childrens - to have read children books could help me - well if the woman is an intellectual one - because if she is not - I am better to watch tv and play video games.

When children books are not short - at least they need to be very attractive to keep childrens interest.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 46
03 September 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Children's books as varied enough so that if you want to learn only from them you'll still end up knowing most important words.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version