United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 17 of 46
03 September 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
misslanguages wrote:
Children's books as varied enough so that if you want to learn only from them you'll still end up knowing most important words.

Agreed. You can find children's books on almost any topic as well, when you get into children's books for ages 8 up. You can find books on science, history, biography, nature, etc, etc.

misslanguages wrote:
Of course.
I watched Teletubbies and other children's shows for ages in English.

Is there a French equivalent to Teletubbies?
1 person has voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 46
03 September 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Why, Teletubbies of course. French people don't know how to make shows. They just rip off American ones.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 19 of 46
03 September 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm... I might try Teletubbies in French then. I don't usually like using dubbed video, since the lips and gestures don't quite match up. But most of the language in Teletubbies is spoken by the narrator, so it won't matter. It should be fun for the kids as well!

Now, I've looked on Amazon.fr, and found the DVD's, but they are a lot cheaper in the UK. Does anyone know if any UK DVD's of the teletubbies have other language tracks? Amazon.co.uk only mentions English, but they are often inaccurate.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 

Message 20 of 46
03 September 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
DVDs are about 80% cheaper in the UK, so I never order DVDs in France. Check if the UK DVDs are bilingual.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 21 of 46
03 September 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I was at HMV this afternoon, and found out that none of the Teletubbies DVD's currently out have any other languages. A few of the older ones, available on Amazon.co.uk, have Welsh language tracks, if people are interested.

I had a look through my kids' collection of DVD's and found a few with French language:
  • The Emperor's New Groove (US version) has French language
  • Shrek (US version) has French language and subtitles
  • The Prince of Egypt/Joseph (UK double pack) has French language
  • Christmas with the Simpsons & The Simpsons Christmas 2 both have French language + subtitles (both from UK)
  • Mr Bean's Holiday (UK) has French language + subtitles

I will have to order Teletubbies from France, but at least I have a bunch of other DVD's for when I get beyond absolute beginner.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6314 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 46
04 September 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Have you ever watched the Teletubbies before??? There has to a better way to learn a language than watching that. Besides, there isn't much dialog in it at all so I don't see what you will get out of it. The other movies you list are probably a lot more interesting but much more advanced. But Mr Bean...he hardly speaks so what's the point?

OK, I feel like I'm just raining on your parade at this point so I'll bow out...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 23 of 46
04 September 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Have you ever watched the Teletubbies before??? There has to a better way to learn a language than watching that. Besides, there isn't much dialog in it at all so I don't see what you will get out of it. The other movies you list are probably a lot more interesting but much more advanced. But Mr Bean...he hardly speaks so what's the point?

OK, I feel like I'm just raining on your parade at this point so I'll bow out...

Have you ever watched the Teletubbies? There isn't any dialog at all. But there is narration throughout, in a clear and calm voice. It is specifically designed to help 2-3 year olds develop their language in a variety of situations, so the narrator asks questions, describes what is happening, etc, and every event is repeated.

Plus, it is strangely mesmerising. When the Teletubbies came out in the US, a TV station put it on at midnight and it became the most watched late night in the area. They found out that college students were watching it! (I always assumed they watched it while getting high. But maybe those students were foreigners learning English?)

And have you seen Mr Bean's Holiday? Bean himself doesn't speak much, but he is not the only character.

Edited by Jeffers on 04 September 2011 at 10:37am

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 

Message 24 of 46
04 September 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I don't know why people aren't humble enough to freaking start at the beginning.
Sure, it's okay to learn how to say hello, but having someone such as a Teletubby use the word you just learned IN CONTEXT for you is too insulting I guess.

You say that there's gotta be a better way. You're wrong. In Teletubbies, REAL children are filmed by a camera crew. How can mini-documentaries about REAL children hurt you?
Okay, the kids can't speak their language that well yet, but neither can YOU.

If you had watched several episodes like me, you'd see how useful this show can be.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version