Singapore
Joined 6314 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 46
04 September 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Really didn't want to rile anyone up. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Enjoy your
Teletubbies!

Edited by newyorkeric on 04 September 2011 at 12:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 26 of 46
04 September 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry, it's just that it seems like the author of this thread would really benefit from watching Teletubbies. I know it can be hard to watch something that was originally made for 2-year-olds when you're in your twenties or even older, but social stigma aside, it's a really good show to learn languages.
Curious George is also very cool, but waaaaaay harder to understand. Like, 10 times harder.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 46
04 September 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
misslanguages wrote:
In Teletubbies, REAL children are filmed by a camera crew. How can mini-documentaries about REAL children hurt you?
Okay, the kids can't speak their language that well yet, but neither can YOU.

I forgot about the mini-documentary segment. Unfortunately, I'm sure they will still have the English documentaries, dubbed into French, for the version of the show in French. Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of the show. I've ordered a DVD from amazon.fr.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 28 of 46
04 September 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
misslanguages wrote:
I'm sorry, it's just that it seems like the author of this thread would really benefit from watching Teletubbies. I know it can be hard to watch something that was originally made for 2-year-olds when you're in your twenties or even older, but social stigma aside, it's a really good show to learn languages.
Curious George is also very cool, but waaaaaay harder to understand. Like, 10 times harder.

Funnily enough, even 'educational' series like Teletubbies do not teach children their native language; at least according to a study I read some time ago. They carefully monitored which words children (around age 2 if I remember correctly) learnt to use, and showed that during the study, children only learnt to use words they picked up from their caretakers, regardless of how many times they had seen & heard them used on TV. Their conclusion was that TV shows for toddlers and preschoolers are useful if you want the child to just shut up for a moment, but you shouldn't believe you're doing your kid a favour with making it watch them.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 29 of 46
04 September 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
misslanguages wrote:

Funnily enough, even 'educational' series like Teletubbies do not teach children their native language; at least according to a study I read some time ago. They carefully monitored which words children (around age 2 if I remember correctly) learnt to use, and showed that during the study, children only learnt to use words they picked up from their caretakers, regardless of how many times they had seen & heard them used on TV. Their conclusion was that TV shows for toddlers and preschoolers are useful if you want the child to just shut up for a moment, but you shouldn't believe you're doing your kid a favour with making it watch them.

You might be right there, Bao. However, read the bit you quoted from Misslanguages more carefully. She never mentioned how good they are for native children to learn from. She was writing about older people learning from a show made for children. I have also heard that children don't learn from TV programmes, although I have to say, my children would quote from the Teletubbies at times. But even so, that doesn't mean they can't be helpful for adult learners.

Misslanguages wrote that she learned a lot from watching Teletubbies in English. Having watched the Teletubbies with my own children, I can see how they could be good for adult learners of English. Now I am going to try it in French and see for myself. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." I will let you know how it goes.

therumsgone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6472 days ago

93 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 30 of 46
04 September 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
misslanguages wrote:
I'm sorry, it's just that it seems like the author of this thread would
really benefit from watching Teletubbies. I know it can be hard to watch something that was originally made for
2-year-olds when you're in your twenties or even older, but social stigma aside, it's a really good show to learn
languages.

Funnily enough, even 'educational' series like Teletubbies do not teach children their native language; at least
according to a study I read some time ago. They carefully monitored which words children (around age 2 if I
remember correctly) learnt to use, and showed that during the study, children only learnt to use words they
picked up from their caretakers, regardless of how many times they had seen & heard them used on TV. Their
conclusion was that TV shows for toddlers and preschoolers are useful if you want the child to just shut up for a
moment, but you shouldn't believe you're doing your kid a favour with making it watch them.

There have indeed been many interesting studies on this; my personal favorite is Kuhl, Tsao, & Liu (2003).
Foreign-language experience in infancy: Effects of short-term exposure and social interaction on phonetic
learning. PNAS 100 (15), 9096-9101. In this study, they gave children equal exposure to Mandarin input either
via a native speaker, audio recordings, or video recordings. Children learned the basic sounds of Mandarin when
they interacted with a speaker, but not when they listened to recordings. Here's the abstractL

Quote:
Infants acquire language with remarkable speed, although little is known about the mechanisms that
underlie the acquisition process. Studies of the phonetic units of language have shown that early in life, infants
are capable of discerning differences among the phonetic units of all languages, including native- and foreign-
language sounds. Between 6 and 12 mo of age, the ability to discriminate foreign-language phonetic units
sharply declines. In two studies, we investigate the necessary and sufficient conditions for reversing this decline
in foreign-language phonetic perception. In Experiment 1, 9-mo-old American infants were exposed to native
Mandarin Chinese speakers in 12 laboratory sessions. A control group also participated in 12 language sessions
but heard only English. Subsequent tests of Mandarin speech perception demonstrated that exposure to
Mandarin reversed the decline seen in the English control group. In Experiment 2, infants were exposed to the
same foreign-language speakers and materials via audiovisual or audio-only recordings. The results
demonstrated that exposure to recorded Mandarin, without interpersonal interaction, had no effect. Between 9
and 10 mo of age, infants show phonetic learning from live, but not prerecorded, exposure to a foreign
language, suggesting a learning process that does not require long-term listening and is enhanced by social
interaction.

Does it matter if children don't learn from videos, when the real question is whether this material would be useful
for adults? I think it does, as the assumption seems to be that children's material is graded and can provide a
systematic approach to language learning. However, I find that this is not the case. Material for children contains
complex language (e.g. the passé simple in children's books) and idiomatic expressions, as even young children
are fairly competent speakers. Materials for children seem to be tailored to their interest level, which is likely not
the interest level of an adult learner. Additionally, characters in children's shows can be difficult to understand,
especially for non-native speakers.

I don't think that children's materials are useless: clearly, Harry Potter will be easier to read than, say, À la
recherche du temps perdu. But, it's important to prioritize study materials. In my opinion, an adult learner would
be better served by watching a half hour of French in Action than a half hour of French Teletubbies. Why? One
provides a systematic introduction to the French language for non-native speakers, the other is meant to keep
two year olds occupied while their parents make dinner or clean house. Teletubbies might be fun or even useful,
but don't expect miracles. You definitely won't learn French like a child by watching children's programs.
4 persons have voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 31 of 46
04 September 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Jeffers. I've never said that a kid could learn English by watching TV. I was talking about *adult* learners here. If you aren't allowed to drink in the US, you're not an adult, period.
Obviously, people who are in their twenties are smart enough to be aware of the fact that they need to make some kind of effort if they want the words to stick.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 32 of 46
04 September 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Just, how are *adults* supposed to learn from material that is irrelevant to their daily life and most likely also to their interests, very low in information-density and even being that way uses a non-standard variant of the language (baby talk, to be exact) which they won't even be able to use for communication?

Edited by Bao on 04 September 2011 at 7:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version