21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Stachu
Poland
Joined 4821 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 21
19 August 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I've just bought "The shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon written in English. I just want to read it and by the way learn some new words. So, what is the best way to learn them? Writtin unknown words on a paper and learning them by heart or something else? What's your opinion?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 21
19 August 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Stachu wrote:
Hi, I've just bought "The shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon written in English. I just want to read it and by the way learn some new words. So, what is the best way to learn them? Writtin unknown words on a paper and learning them by heart or something else? What's your opinion?

It may sound glib, but there is a large element of "the best method is the one you'll actually do". Another factor is what you want to learn the words for - are you interested in reading other books more comfortably, or with gaining active use of the words as quickly as possible?

My preference is usually for learning words passively first; some spontaneously become active, and activating the others if needed is easier at that point. Reading a book first in a language I know well, and later in another one (with or without a parallel text) is the fastest way I know of to do this. Reading a text for the first time in a foreign language without having read it in another one first has its own pleasures, but it is definitely a slower way to gain vocabulary - you're left guessing, or spending tons of time with dictionaries, far too often. Context helps, but especially for things like specific plant and animal names, often not that much.

If you want a more active approach, try to find out how Joseph Conrad did it, or read about Iversen's wordlist method or anki.

Kudos on the choice of book; it's a good one.

7 persons have voted this message useful

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4781 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 21
21 August 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Learning words from books is pretty hard. You'll have to use the dictionary way too much. Instead, you should consider sentence-mining, or bilingual books.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 21
21 August 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Over the first chapter, try to learn to identify important words, and ignore unimportant ones. There's lots of descriptive material in a story that isn't necessary to understand the plot. If you look up the dictionary for every wallpaper pattern or every single piece of food, you'll get bored.

Look up words that seem immediately important, and look up words that keep recurring.
7 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 21
21 August 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Well, you can also make some pencil marks and check the words later, when you feel like.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stachu
Poland
Joined 4821 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 21
21 August 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Over the first chapter, try to learn to identify important words, and ignore unimportant ones. There's lots of descriptive material in a story that isn't necessary to understand the plot. If you look up the dictionary for every wallpaper pattern or every single piece of food, you'll get bored.

Look up words that seem immediately important, and look up words that keep recurring.

I think it's pretty good but I have no idea how to distinguish the important words. I don't know which is more important and which is less.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 21
22 August 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Stachu wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

I think it's pretty good but I have no idea how to distinguish the important words. I don't know which is more important and which is less.

It's a skill that comes with practice. There are a couple of guidelines.
a) If you're seeing the word very frequently, it's probably important, at least in the book you're reading. If you've stumbled across it and don't know what it means, but recognize it, it may be worth looking up.
b) Is that word the only thing keeping you from understanding a sentence that isn't clear when you read the paragraph around it? Consider looking it up.

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 5125 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 21
22 August 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
1. Try and get an audio recording of the book and listen/read. Listening gives a lot more clues as to meaning (as well as giving pronunciation) than just reading alone.

2. Underline some or all new words and write the translation UNDER the word. In that way, you can read the book later, uncovering the text as you go down the page and recalling the word before you look to check it.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version