United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6792 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 9 of 21
31 August 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I primarily learn my favorite languages from books, but I take a very extreme yet loose approach: I learn every single word.

I use definitions and examples from wordreference.com, and Anki flashcards.

If I don't know the language that well, I'll start with short articles in the language on the Internet.

I've found this to be the most beneficial for me, because once I've entered the word into Anki, I've found I never have to look it up again. Often times, the provided examples help me understand the word in a variety of contexts.

It's also very rewarding seeing a word I've learned this way come up later on, and of course, seeing words different contexts only reinforce them.
1 person has voted this message useful

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 21
31 August 2011 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Recently, I'd ignore new vocabulary as long as I can understand the text. This makes me feel reading (advanced) text more pleasurable and less disrupted by having to look up new words.

Most of the time, I can make do with ignoring new vocab. Yet, I'd record words/idioms I personally find interesting so that later on I'll look them up and add them to my flashcard program.

Certainly, it'd worked differently when the size of my vocab was much smaller a few years back. Back then, I had to look up words more frequently because I wouldn't have understood the content otherwise.

I wonder if anyone knows any small device that when hovered over a word in (physical) pages would show the meaning/definition in the screen?

Such a program would be really wonderful.

Edited by learnvietnamese on 31 August 2011 at 5:17am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 21
31 August 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
learnvietnamese wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows any small device that when hovered over a word in (physical) pages would show the meaning/definition in the screen?

Wizcom markets several expensive "pen translators," however, IIRC, they got mixed reviews
If you have a smartphone with a touchscreen, the free Kindle app might help. It comes with free monolingual English and German dictionaries and will display dictionary definitions if you select a word on the touchscreen.
However, to use it with other languages, you'll need a Mobipocket dictionary or create your own dictionary from a tab delimited list; you'll also need to patch the ASIN id of your custom dictionary so that it matches the English dictionary in order to make the Kindle app invoke your custom dictionary instead of the default dictionary.
The actual Kindle doesn't have these limitations, but supports only languages with Latin-based alphabets. Other ebook readers tend to have a broader language support.
2 persons have voted this message useful

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 21
31 August 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for your info, Doitsujin.

Wizcom is exactly what I thought hasn't existed yet. Thanks for this.

And for the other information, do you mean we read the text in Kindle or the smart phone? Or are you saying that there is an app. in smart phones that works like Wizcom pen, i.e., open app, hovering the mobile phone over the word and it translates?

Thanks.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 13 of 21
31 August 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
learnvietnamese wrote:
And for the other information, do you mean we read the text in Kindle or the smart phone?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You'd simply convert your books to the Kindle/Mobipocket format and then read them on your smartphone. BTW, MobiPocket offers free ebook reader software for Symbian, Palm OS and PocketPC smartphones.

learnvietnamese wrote:
Or are you saying that there is an app. in smart phones that works like Wizcom pen, i.e., open app, hovering the mobile phone over the word and it translates?

AFAIK, there's an iPhone app called Word Lens, that can translate signs, but not much else.

IMHO, neither the pen nor the app will help you much with language learning. You're probably better off with free ebook reader software, a dedicated ebook reader or an Internet tablet with dictionary/language learning software.

If you're looking to buy a device you may want to have a look at the iPad vs Kindle thread for some information on language specific suggestions.

Edited by Doitsujin on 01 September 2011 at 7:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

eyyamguder
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4790 days ago

8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: French

Message 14 of 21
01 September 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
if you feel like looking on a dictionary ceaselessly while reading then the best way is
reading the text on some electronic device which you can use babylon dictionary on it.
using babylon is so much more time saving than looking up to a conventional dictionary.
it can pop-up the meaning of the word by just clicking the wheel of the mouse on the
desired word and saving lots of time and preventing you to be distracted from the reading
process. after finishing your read you can also save the looked words from the history of
the dictionary to the anki and work on them at any time.

anupam
India
Joined 4769 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 15 of 21
01 September 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Best way to learn new words from any book is to create a word list of new words while
reading and going though them again. I found this very useful. I use
http://stuc.co.in/ to create my word lists and flashcards

Edited by anupam on 01 September 2011 at 9:36pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 16 of 21
02 September 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Especially with cheaper books, I often mark up unknown words, to come back to them later. It can get boring, of course. It is probably best to avoid doing it too much.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version