Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5564 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, FrenchC2, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 1 of 9
21 August 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Learning f ex French when at the same time having general learning difficulties?

Having learnt languages since childhood using different techniques, I have always been
trying to share my knowledge. This time my sister is asking me for help as she wants to
learn French.

Problem is, she has some real difficulties in learning. No dyslexia involved, she still
writes bad and learns slowly and I'm afraid learning French is going to be very
difficult for her, especially reading.

As I particularly like the Routledge Colloquial Series as a support, I want her to use
it but I also want to facilitate for her. So far I've come up with this:

- Erase all finitive verb endings that sound the same
>> je pens, tu pens, on pens, nous pensons, vous pensez, ils pens

- Change all e to ɘ, to prevent mixing it up with [e] é
>> jɘ pens

- Come up with a color code for distinguishing verb conjugations or other "words" that
sound the same but have different grammar functions

Generally focusing on how the language sounds, but not to much, as French sounds very
slurry when spoken and small phonemes are difficult to hear.

It is useless trying to explain any grammar, linguistics or anything for her before she
finds it out herself.

Have you got more ideas? I figure there must be a lot of people wanting to learn
languages not having to learn linguistics or anything like that.

//S
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5269 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 9
21 August 2011 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Learning slowly and having difficulties writing? This sounds like me in in this phase of my life, except I have dyslexia too. I fear that the attempt to simplify French might only confuse her further, though.

Have you considered Pimsleur, or Michel Thomas? I would think Pimsleur in particular would be good as there is so little grammar involved. And even children with different sorts of learning disabilities usually learn their own language, so there is no reason why they should not be able to learn a foreign language. I assume your sister has learned some English. What worked for her then?

Good luck, you muct be a kind soul to take so much interest in your sister learning foreign languages.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4794 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 3 of 9
21 August 2011 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to smatter psychologist, but have you considered any emotional problems? You haven't written how old is your sister, but I can tell you that my problems with learning have most probably started because of some unpleasant situations in my life.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
22 August 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Maybe you could work primarily with repetition and audio-based material.

I myself do not have learning problems, and I still can't work with textbooks before I haven't had a fair share of exposure to the language and had a chance to memorize words and phrases from hearing. Maybe memorizing how to say things she wants to be able to say can help her, too, as you said that it's useless to explain grammar to her before she figures it out herself.

Edited by Bao on 22 August 2011 at 10:25am

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
22 August 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
How is her English? If she can handle English, then, I think that the spelling of French will not be too hard. Also,
instead of erasing the endings — let them bee there but mark them as ‹silent›. In Swedish we have silent letters
too: point that out to her! The g in jag, the ‹-de› in many preterite endings is almost always omitted in colloquial
language, the final ‹r› in var, the medial -ga- in dagar. Some words are written totally unlike they’re pronounced:
mig, dig, sig, och, de, dem. We do have something comparable to the french liaison: the final or almost final Rs
contaminate following initial sounds of words with retrofrexy, and in case of a pronoun changes and initial d into
an r-sound: har sett -> ha tjett, tar tag -> ta rtag en art syns -> en art tjyns.

Colour code genders. Strike over silent long endings. Find french borrowings in Swedish that she reads correctly
and let her use them in analogy: restaurant, kuvert, konsert, pretentiös, tait-à-tait, garage, etc. etc.

By giving her false french were endings that in written french are imperative you will do her a björntjänst, because
then she will me very confused once she get to read real french.
2 persons have voted this message useful

abcedef
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5564 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 6 of 9
22 August 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
How is her English? If she can handle English, then, I think that the
spelling of French will not be too hard. Also,
instead of erasing the endings — let them bee there but mark them as ‹silent›. In
Swedish we have silent letters
too: point that out to her! The g in jag, the ‹-de› in many preterite endings is almost
always omitted in colloquial
language, the final ‹r› in var, the medial -ga- in dagar. Some words are written
totally unlike they’re pronounced:
mig, dig, sig, och, de, dem. We do have something comparable to the french liaison: the
final or almost final Rs
contaminate following initial sounds of words with retrofrexy, and in case of a pronoun
changes and initial d into
an r-sound: har sett -> ha tjett, tar tag -> ta rtag en art syns -> en art tjyns.

Colour code genders. Strike over silent long endings. Find french borrowings in Swedish
that she reads correctly
and let her use them in analogy: restaurant, kuvert, konsert, pretentiös, tait-à-tait,
garage, etc. etc.

Indeed the two examples you gave I think is a very good way of showing that this kind
of phenomena exist in a language she's already familiar with. I believe it's a good
idea to be able to let things like these pass "unoticed", at least so that they don't
disturb the general learning process.

Details are better dealt with later.

abcedef
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5564 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 7 of 9
22 August 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Have you considered Pimsleur, or Michel Thomas? I would think Pimsleur in particular
would be good as there is so little grammar involved. And even children with different
sorts of learning disabilities usually learn their own language, so there is no reason
why they should not be able to learn a foreign language. I assume your sister has
learned some English. What worked for her then?

Good idea, I'll download it for her Ipod.

She started off today with an old -96 language learning software called Lingua Land
which taught me a lot of French back in the days. I also borrowed a language course
book/CD from the library - kind of like the books I guess they use in college for
learning French that she got very fond of. I myself find those kind of supports very
suspicious, especially when chapter one is about "introducing oneself", chapter two is
about "telling the time" and so on... content that I don't find useful at all :P

As for her English she's lived and worked in Britain AND in India :P

abcedef
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5564 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 8 of 9
22 August 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Oh, forgot to tell you -still remains to see how it works- that she'll be making a
learning diary for me. I said it'll make her conscious about how she learns.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version