Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5338 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 3
25 August 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Is there a difference in the methods of studying languages between people who are good in
math and people who can barely calculate at all (like myself)?

I have noticed than many language learners on this forum claim to be interested in math
and subjects that deal with math like computer programming and natural sciences. In what
way do their methods of learning a language differ from those people who have only basic
math skills, or are not interested in math, computers or natural sciences at all?

I guess the reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to find out what would be the
best method for me, and I already have some methods that I tried out.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
25 August 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Other than being less likely to write your own computer programs to help you along, and reading less about math and science in your languages when you can read freely in them, I honestly doubt there is much difference.

I had to unlearn a lot of habits and approaches when taking up language learning; it's a very different type of knowledge.

starrye
United States
Joined 5029 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 3
25 August 2011 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Well, I don't particularly enjoy math, and I wouldn't say I'm that great at it, outside of basic every day applications. I studied some statistics, and programming back in college, but since I don't really use it on the job nowadays, I've forgotten a lot of it. I do enjoy puzzle solving, and that sort of thing. I suppose that has influenced my reasons for wanting to study a language, but in terms of how I actually go about it...not so much.

I recall when I was learning programming, I would go out and look at examples of other people's code, and larger projects. I wouldn't understand the whole thing, but I would look for structures and snip out bits I could use, manipulate, and experiment with in my own code. In a way, grammar is kind of like that. When I want to write something, but I'm not sure how to go about it, I go look for examples of how other people (native speakers) have written about similar things, snip bits and pieces, and see how I can manipulate it and construct my own sentences based off that example.

But I wouldn't say that's a "math" or "mathematical" approach. I'm not really sure what you mean by a "math" approach? I do see some people who are very focused on data and statistics who make the effort to log their hours studied, number of words learned, etc. I don't. What information I have on my "words learned" comes from Anki. But who knows if that is accurate, because I don't add every word I come across into Anki.

What I think you are noticing about this forum probably has more to do with demographics. Are people who are interested in other intellectual pursuits more likely to teach themselves a language, and possibly learn many as a hobby? Probably so.

Edited by starrye on 25 August 2011 at 5:37pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version