Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
07 September 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I want to set up Anki to be able to test me for cuneiform and Akkadian. The problem relies in the fact that the signs
are shown properly on my entire system, in Anki, and everywhere else except when I try to review them where they
turn to obnoxious boxes instead of the wonderful wedges of cuneiform.

Well, then how do I want the think to work? Well: basically like how most people do with Chinese and Japanese.
Signs, readings and translation. I do however require yet another field due to the nature of the cuneiform script’s
mixing of Sumerian logographs (and their academic naming conventions) and native Akkadian words.

Thus, the signs that is called DINGIR (written in upper case to show it’s a logogram using it’s Sumerian value) will
be transliterated into DIINGIR but when read (and normalised) as ilum, the Akkadian word for god. Sometimes the
scribes added syllabograms after logograms to show inflection, DINGIR-lim, for example, would be read ilim, which
is the genitive case of ilum. I thus need two ‹furigana-fields›.

http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/knp/cuneiformrevealed/learning signs/cuneiformexercises/answers1/

If anyone has the patience, the geeky interest, or just want to se how the hell cuneiform looks like, head towards
this page: http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/knp/cuneiformrevealed/learning signs/cuneiformexercises/answers1/

In the left menu there’s an option named ‹Help with fonts›, where one can download unicode fonts that can show
cuneiform. Nota bene: I am currently doing an introductionary course and I will for a long time only be using Neo-
Assyrian cuneiform. They are the most legible variation and thus the ‹beginner script› for aspiring assyriologists.

I love you all!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 2 of 6
07 September 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Okay.. After a lot of work I’ve now found what kind of problem it is — yet not how to solve it. Anki seems to add
some kind of unknown character after every cuneiform sign that I enter — I do not know why! — when it render the
cards. It looks perfectly fine everywhere else but not when reviewing. I’ve tried to delete all spaces, tried to replace
them with non-braking spaces, but alas, nothing has yet worked.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 3 of 6
08 September 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
And I’ve now synced it and tried it with the online version of Anki, and there it works. So… I’m.. baffled.

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 4 of 6
08 September 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
You should ask directly on the anki's mailing list

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6594 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 

Message 5 of 6
08 September 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
jean-luc wrote:
You should ask directly on the anki's mailing list

Yea, perhaps. It’s a bug indeed. I do not, I’m afraid, understand quite how the Anki forums and bug tracker work,
so, I was hoping for someone to have had a similar problem :P.

jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 6
08 September 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
It's actually not a forum but a mailing list. You go here and click on "new topic". You may need to register somewhere if you don't have a google account tough.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version