TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
08 September 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Everyone loves a good long, 40+ hour RPG, replete with dialogue.

Well, imagine this, THEY HAVE THEM IN FOREIGN LANGUAGES. Many of them are available on Steam. All you have to do is change your default language and Steam will download extra files for your game in that language. I can't really imagine a more fun way for "immersion."

Mass Effect 1+2, Knights of the Old Republic 1+2, Assassin's Creed 1 and I'm sure many many more come in French, German, Spanish, and Italian, complete with hours and hours of dialogue. Yes, voiced dialogue.

Does anyone else do this and have any suggestions as to grammatical correctness? I just started Knights of the Old Republic I in German, it seems pretty spot on (considering I've beaten the game 3 times before, though for some reason the characters address me as "Ihr" instead of "Ihnen", I wonder why).

Just thought I would share this tip with the forum. Also, Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic have subtitles. So it could be a creative way to implement the L-R technique.   

Edited by TMoneytron on 08 September 2011 at 6:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 13
08 September 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
It's not LR, for the same reason that movies with subtitles aren't, but it can still be a good way to squeeze in some extra study!

1 person has voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 3 of 13
08 September 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Ohhh. Well,you can turn the subtitles off lol.

What exactly is L-R then? I mean, you could take notes while you play....

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 4 of 13
08 September 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
L-R, as I define it, and as it was presented on this forum initially, is an intensive language-learning method, using an L2 audio recording of a familiar and long story.

Optionally, you'll have a corresponding L1 text, or an L1/L2 parallel text; this is always extremely helpful.

The 'density' of new material is critical for L-R: a novel has enough words per minute and few enough other distractions to be excellent for L-R, while movies and video games fail on both counts. They're still worth learning from, and your proposal is an excellent way to get some language learning out of gaming time, but games aren't usable for L-R.

It's still a goldmine, just not an L-R one. :-)

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 5 of 13
08 September 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Oh interesting. Well in KOTOR and Mass Effect they have subtitles in the L2 language, along with recorded dialogue. So, it might not be QUITE L-R, but it sounds pretty close. Moreover, things like the context in the game, the surrounding, and the overall story might help. Like, I know the story of KOTOR, so contextual clues help me to figure out the German dialogue.

But I get what you say with the distractions. KOTOR is VERY dialogue dense. You can spend hours just talking to the characters. That is one of the reasons why I loved the game. Eventually if you get the characters to trust you after hours of talking to them, they reveal their past secrets and back stories. Doing that in another language would be really fun, actually.

Thanks for the clarification!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 6 of 13
08 September 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
Oh interesting. Well in KOTOR and Mass Effect they have subtitles in the L2 language, along with recorded dialogue. So, it might not be QUITE L-R, but it sounds pretty close. Moreover, things like the context in the game, the surrounding, and the overall story might help. Like, I know the story of KOTOR, so contextual clues help me to figure out the German dialogue.

But I get what you say with the distractions. KOTOR is VERY dialogue dense. You can spend hours just talking to the characters. That is one of the reasons why I loved the game. Eventually if you get the characters to trust you after hours of talking to them, they reveal their past secrets and back stories. Doing that in another language would be really fun, actually.

Thanks for the clarification!

Sounds awesome. That kind of dialog-density is definitely a plus for language learning, as is the existing familiarity you have with it. Enjoy!

Dr. POW
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4900 days ago

48 posts - 58 votes 
Studies: German, English*
Studies: French

Message 7 of 13
09 September 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I made a topic about using video games to learn languages as well. It's on the next
page.

I've found that simply playing Pokémon in a different language is fairly effective.
There is tons of dialogue, over 1000 NPCs, meaning incredible amounts of vocabulary.

Another pro is that you can let the person stop talking and look at anything you don't
understand/are interested in without them talking past it. Also, it may seem that the
vocabulary would be 100% about battles, but other than the names of Pokémon and other
items (name of people, cities, items, and Pokémon are in full capitals, and you can
identify them) the dialogue covers fairly broad subjects. You won't get a vocabulary
based on magic, dragons, the apocalypse, etc.

The speakers are also very different from one another. Some talk formally, some talk at
a personal level, and some use slang.

There is, unfortunately, no audio to go along with the text.

BTW, do you have to pay for the game in the other language again if you already bought
it in English? I have spent a fair sum of money on Steam, so this would be something
great to use if I don't need to.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4864 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 8 of 13
09 September 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the resource! I totally didn't know Steam had all those alternate language
files. Now I'll probably have to sign up for my own account to play in other languages,
instead of stealing my brother's computer all the time.

And now I can justify playing video games as language learning! Woot!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version