Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5344 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 1 of 2
14 September 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I signed up for the tandem programm at my university and already found my partner. I will be learning Hungarian, she will be learning German (by what I understood). I've never done something like this before and therefore need your advices :)

- What sort of material ?
- How do you divide the time between each language ?

I thought of reading with her to improve my pronunciation and assigning an essay each week. Or to have to write an essay each week.

I don't know what her level of German his, but probably low. I've never taught a language before... with what should I start ?

I know, my request is very confuse, but it's because I'm confused too :).

Thanks a lot for everyone who might respond !

Kisfröccs
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5284 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 2 of 2
15 September 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi kisfröccs

Nobody is coming forward with any advice so I'll give it a go as I had lots of these exchanges between Czech and English.

My advice is to just do conversation for the first lesson, try to get your partner to speak in German as much as possible and work out what he or she wants and needs.
In my experience of these types of lessons, the learner of the language always does the most talking.

You just have to agree beforehand on the time and then both be fair, if you go over on the first language then make sure you go over on the second too or make up for it in the next lesson.

In my opinion it's better for you to plan for the Hungarian (you know what you want) and your partner to plan for the German.

As for materials - describing photos, describing the plot of a film, general chat, you can give him or her a book to read and they have to describe one chapter to you each lesson. It completely depends on what materials you have at your disposal and what the other person wants.

Enjoy it! You've really done so well with your Hungarian this year and given yourself so many great opportunities, I'm a little envious!

Edited by hribecek on 15 September 2011 at 10:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version