Diglot
United States
Joined 4817 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 3
19 September 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
If you have never heard of TED, I suggest you check it out, as it has many very interesting talks on topics covering just about everything that is new and interesting about the world. www.ted.com

Related to languages, I just discovered that these English-language talks have a subtitle option with 25 different languages available. These languages (unless they vary for each video) are:

Albanian
Arabic
Bulgarian
Chinese (simp./traditional)
Croatian
Czech
Dutch
English
French
Georgian
German
Hebrew
Hungarian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Spanish
Turkish
Vietnamese

These are people just giving talks, so the language is pretty normal, and at relatively normal speech speeds (perhaps slowed just a little, since it is actually in a lecture format). There are a few technical phrases thrown in depending on what topic you watch, and you are likely to find a topic which interests you.

In addition, there are translations available for many of these talks under the "translations" tab.

Anyway, I thought others might be interested in knowing about this resource.

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5144 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
19 September 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Hendrek! I hadn't noticed the "translation" option before. And yes, the TED talks themselves cover a wealth of interesting, informative, and thought-provoking topics, with good speakers.

Unfortunately, not all of the videos (yet?) have translated subtitles. For a list of those that do, try this list of languages.

Also, TED has an open translation project, and has put out a call for volunteer translators. With all the expertise on this forum, perhaps some of you folks might be interested in taking part...?

Edited by songlines on 19 September 2011 at 7:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4817 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 3
19 September 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Oh wow, apparently there are quite a few more languages represented to some extent than in my list above. Thanks

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version