Diglot
Germany
Joined 5321 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Croatian

Message 1 of 10
25 September 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
I stumbled upon a project called "Where are your keys? -- The language fluency game."
(http://whereareyourkeys.org/) which would seem to be a good way to actually speak a language. As I understood,
the basic idea is to start with very simple sentences using real objects ("This is my stone. Give me your pen.") and
practice them long enough to feel comfortable with them.

Interestingly, I didn't find any mention of it on this site. Has anybody experience with this technique?

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 2 of 10
25 September 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
If I understand their concept correctly, it's yet another free language program based on the Direct Method similar to the MT language courses.
I like the idea, but so far their "Universal Speed Curriculum" has only materials for English, Estonian, Lojban(!) and Squamish.
Their idea definitely has potential and I'll check it out later to find out if their curricula for the other languages materialize.
I think it might be a good idea for the people behind WAYK to join forces with people who developed the languages courses hosted at I Kinda Like Languages because they seem to have similar ideas.

5 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5191 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 3 of 10
25 September 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
If I understand their concept correctly, it's yet another free language program based on the Direct Method similar to the MT language courses.
I like the idea, but so far their "Universal Speed Curriculum" has only materials for English, Estonian, Lojban(!) and Squamish.
Their idea definitely has potential and I'll check it out later to find out if their curricula for the other languages materialize.
I think it might be a good idea for the people behind WAYK to join forces with people who developed the languages courses hosted at I Kinda Like Languages because they seem to have similar ideas.

I kinda like ikindalikelanguages.com - it's so easy and helpful.

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 10
25 September 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I think I like the Michael Thomas Method a lot: it's progressive learning without too much emphasis on formal concepts. Ultimately, the goal is to get the idea across.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
25 September 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
WannabeHrvat wrote:
the basic idea is to start with very simple sentences using real objects ("This is my stone. Give me your pen.") and practice them long enough to feel comfortable with them. Interestingly, I didn't find any mention of it on this site. Has anybody experience with this technique?

I think that people who do silent thinking in their target languages must go through such a stage - simply because you can't make up long complicated sentences in the beginning, and unlike writing you will typically do your thinking without the help of a dictionary.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5763 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 6 of 10
25 September 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
WannabeHrvat wrote:
the basic idea is to start with very simple sentences using real
objects ("This is my stone. Give me your pen.") and practice them long enough to feel comfortable with them.
Interestingly, I didn't find any mention of it on this site. Has anybody experience with this technique?

I think that people who do silent thinking in their target languages must go through such a stage - simply
because you can't make up long complicated sentences in the beginning, and unlike writing you will typically do
your thinking without the help of a dictionary.

Yes, this is exactly how I begin doing silent thinking in my target language, which is a major part of studying for
me. Even in my more advanced languages I start out like this and "warm up" to more complex sentences until I'm
thinking fluently, which is great to do before having a real conversation because it makes it that much easier to
transition.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 7 of 10
26 September 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
What exactly is the idea of the program? The "Universal Speed Curriculum" is interesting, but I'm not sure how exactly you are supposed to use the method. There are grammatical errors (Quiero que me das tu piedra), though I assume it's just to keep things simple to start with. Is it a self-teaching method? Or does the "game" have to be designed by someone else? It's interesting and actually sounds pretty fun, but I'm not sure how to go about using (or creating) such a method.

WannabeHrvat
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5321 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Croatian

Message 8 of 10
26 September 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
What exactly is the idea of the program?

After watching several of the videos they have, I'm still not sure. But I like some of the ideas. Three things seem to
be important:
  • A native (or at least fluent) speaker,
  • the use of sign language as a meta-language
  • a set of
    techniques to control the game

For example, one of the techniques is "Sorry, Charlie". This technique means you're not ready for the next
level/concept/pattern. The group then stays at the current level until everybody feels comfortable to proceed. This
is a big contrast to how I experienced language learning in school. We got shown a concept, maybe tried it once or
twice and then ... next.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version