Droenix
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 9 of 10
27 September 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I'm actually really liking this style of method, only problem is it's not very good for self-studiers (of course). Although, I believe I could learn something from this method for my self-studying purposes and to possibly even pass along some of my foreign language knowledge to my friends and family.

Only thing is, is the sign language part really necessary? It just seems like an extra task that is not really necessary, maybe it'll help a little bit with the vocabulary acquisition, although I think pointing would work just as well. I think you can keep the other things like "How fascinating!", that helps encourage positive learning and does not put pressure on the pupils to have to be 100% correct (which is why I feel schools probably put people off from learning languages on their own, at least high school and maybe college wise).

From my understanding, you start off with simple words and work with physical, tangible objects then probably move on to more difficult words, sentences and possibly not physical and non-tangible objects. Which is pretty nice, at least in speaking and listening terms. Now, if there was a way to somehow incorporate reading and possibly writing in the game, I think it would be an invaluable method.

Just my opinion on this method and I would love to see more people doing this!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 10 of 10
27 September 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I was thinking about that last night (reading and writing), and I can't think of a way to incorporate this. Nevertheless, I think it'd be an interesting way to go about teaching a language and would really like to try it. I think the best way to teach is to teach the student how to continue learning by themself, and that seems to be a strong point of this method (game). I'm also not quite sure how the signs come into play. I suppose it's like having a bilingual text for the spoken language?

I'm going to dedicate an hour and a half to the video on the front page and see if that clears anything up for me. I'll report back afterwards.

UPDATE: So here's what I gathered:
Basically, you've got "techniques" which are supposed to be used to keep the game advancing and fun. When playing the game, things should be tangible, you're touching, trading, talking about real items, but not too many. They mention ten items being enough to learn a foreign language. There should always be repetition, they say to repeat everything at least three times. Everything should be obvious: this is a stick, that's a pen, this is a cup, etc.

The first "rule" is copycat. Repeat what the instructor says, following the same rotation (first pointing at the stick, then the pen, then the cup, then the stick, then the pen, then the cup, then the stick, etc. etc.) Start from the beginning: "This is a cup. This is a pen. This is a stick." Ideally, everything introduced should be introduced in groups (genres), never individually. Everything should be related and connected to something else.

Overdo everything.

No thinking, no suffering. If you make a mistake, enjoy it, forget, but don't let it bother you. They say to shout "how fascinating!" whenever you make a mistake, and everyone should join in. The same when you finally figure something out, when something clicks. The idea is that learning should be fun.

Introduce bite-sized pieces (but always using full sentences: "Is that a stick? No, that is not a stick.") After "That is a stick" introduce "Is that a stick?" (or "That is a stick?") Next is the "make me say yes", followed by the "make me say no" technique. At this point you can usually get by without using English, only to explain new techniques.

Another technique: No curveballs. Don't try to trick me, play nice. And when you are "full", say so and go relax, eat, play, and come back when you are ready.

Some sample lists they mentioned in the video:
Yes, perfect, fine (later: good, ok)
No, not, don't (later: bad, nothing)
I, you, (he, her) my, your (his, her)
Want, have, give, take (trade, steal, borrow, loan, buy, sell)
If, and, then, but (or)

And I can remember all of these (and more) after having watched the video, though admittedly the majority of it is self-explanatory, and everything I see online seems to be geared towards beginner students. I wonder how they would aim this towards intermediate or advanced students, or how to continue on past the beginner stage.

Edited by Crush on 27 September 2011 at 1:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version