G.L.O.S.S. - Great Site!

Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6585 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 1 of 22
24 May 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I stumbled across G.L.O.S.S. (Global Language Online Support System) and found it quite comprehensive. I think I saw it mentioned on here before, but here's a reminder.

There are exercises with text and audio for the following languages:

Albanian
Arabic
Chinese
Croatian
Dari
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Indonesian
Korean
Pashto
Persian
Portuguese
Russian
Serbian
Sorani
Spanish
Turkish
Urdu

Happy learning!
1 person has voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 22
26 May 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Also from the same site are intermediate online sustainment courses for Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and Korean. Russian, Serbo-Croatian and Persian are still under development.

Field Support Online has phrasebook/survival kit downloads with audio for the following languages:

Albanian, Amharic, Azeri, Bengali, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cantonese, Cebuano, Chinese, Dari, Egyptian, Emirati, French, Georgian, Haitian, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Iloquano, Indonesian, Iraqi, Javanese, Kashmiri, Kurmanji, Mandarin, Moroccan, Pashto (Afghanistan), Pashto (Pakistan), Persian-Farsi, Punjabi (India), Punjabi (Pakistan), Romanian, Russian, Saudi, Sindhi, Sorani, South Korean, Sudanese, Swahili, Syrian, Tagalog, Thai, Tigrinya, Tunisian, Turkish, Turkmen, Urdu, Uzbek & Vietnamese.

Some of the language survival kits are army related but the basic kits have a lot of useful common phrases.

They also have a downloadable course called 'Headstart', available for Chinese Mandarin, Dari, Iraqi and Pashto. As far as I've been able to figure out, it's an interactive course that teaches you the basics of a language. It's a big file to download though.

And there's a few more stuff on that site including cultural guides, pronunciation guides and iPod downloads.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 

Message 4 of 22
01 June 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
mandy_surfer18 wrote:
No Espanol? What a rip!

I think the whole point is that these are websites intended for the US military, so they are only going to include languages from countries they are working in.
As far as I know, the US doesn't have any business in Spain or Spanish-speaking countries, therefore they don't bother teaching Spanish. This is why they don't have Japanese either.

workerbee
United States
Joined 6786 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 5 of 22
01 June 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I had been to the Gloss site previously along with the field modules page. I was very excited this time around to see the Headstart courses. Unfortunately, they aren't avaaiable. There is some sort of security warning that comes up--it seems like dead end. Am I doing something wrong?

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6585 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 6 of 22
01 June 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
@ Workerbee: I get those messages, too, for some of the courses. I don't know if that's a technical problem or they only allow access for some courses to certain people/IP addresses. Some courses are available, but it's spotty. Good luck!

Edited by apparition on 01 June 2008 at 8:45pm

Curt21
Groupie
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

55 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 7 of 22
02 June 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
"They also have a downloadable course called 'Headstart', available for Chinese Mandarin, Dari, Iraqi and Pashto. As far as I've been able to figure out, it's an interactive course that teaches you the basics of a language. It's a big file to download though.

And there's a few more stuff on that site including cultural guides, pronunciation guides and iPod downloads."

How do you download the headstart programs? Whenever I click on them it just gives me a message about "secure information."

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 

Message 8 of 22
02 June 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I noticed that recently too. It doesn't seem like you can download the Headstart courses anymore. When you click on a link all it does is lead you to another page with information about security and stuff. My guess is they're limiting the downloads to military IPs only. It's probably a case of people linking to a page that is maybe meant to be confidential.

The iPod downloads on that site don't seem to be working either but if you go to 'Language Survival Kits: PDF/Audio' you should still be able to download the same content. I'd recommend people to download the languages they want asap, before those links become disabled as well.

As for the Headstart course, a few months back when I first found that site the links were still functioning. I started downloading the Dari course, to get an idea of what it was like before putting it on my site, but I was put off by the sheer size of the file. I got up to about 60%, which took ages, and then my PC started going on about limited hard-drive space, so I cancelled it.
However, I had found another army site which had the Iraqi course to download and a tutorial as well. Soon after I put up the link on my site the webpage disappeared. It looked like it had 3D graphics that would lead you through different language situations in Iraq. Pretty military focused but looked good.

Maybe we should start a policy of not linking directly to sensitive sites? i.e. sites that are likely to disappear once they realise members of the public are taking advantage of their stuff. If we just copy the address in posts without linking to it directly this also means they can't trace the site.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version