United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 22
23 June 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
For those interested in the Headstart courses, this is a copy of a post from the forum on fsi-language-courses:

banana200 wrote:

unzum wrote:

Pashto headstart appears to be available to download from the Defense Language Insitute.
http://fieldsupport.lingnet.org/downloads.aspx
Select download type 'Headstart' and you'll find it. I don't actually know what it's like, as I attempted to download Dari but had to give up because the file was so huge.

I also downloaded the Pashto headstart but couldn't install it, so I got in touch with the people at DLI and they sent me a DVD copy for free.

1 person has voted this message useful

workerbee
United States
Joined 6786 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 10 of 22
10 July 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
For anyone who was lucky enough to get a Headstart course, is a .mil address necessary to use the program? Don't want any troubles...

Cebeel
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6495 days ago

51 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 22
29 October 2008 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
I stumbled across G.L.O.S.S. (Global Language Online Support System) and found it quite comprehensive. I think I saw it mentioned on here before, but here's a reminder.

WOW!!! thanks a million!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 22
30 October 2008 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
The only trouble with GLOSS is that even its easiest texts are at the level of at least the lower intermediate stage, - you have to get the basics somewhere else. But as soon as you can understand the texts with the help of the translations and audio then it is just about the best thing you could imagine in its genre.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 

Message 13 of 22
16 November 2008 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
There have been some new stuff added to the site recently, especially for Arabic learners.

Arabic Accents has different passages to listen to in MSA and ten different Arabic dialects/accents:
Egyptian, Iraqi, Jordanian, Lebanese, Libyan, Palestinian, Saudi Arabian, Sudanese, Syrian, and Tunisian

Arabic Grammar Search - I couldn't really get this to work but then I don't know any Arabic...

Phone Conversations to listen to in Egyptian, Iraqi and Levantine Arabic.

Folktale map isn't really language related but it has several folktales for different parts of the world, with picture and audio.

Lingnet has been updated with Azeri, Tausug, Wu and possibly some others.

And GLOSS now includes Azeri, Hausa, Kurmanji, Punjabi, Swahili, Tagalog and Uzbek.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6083 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 14 of 22
16 November 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
It seems for the field support site, you can now only download the audio for the familiarization course where you learn charming phrases like "Stop or I will shoot" and "You are a prisoner".

Did anyone manage to download any of the Headstart courses? I'm not in North America nor am I a US citizen so I don't think they'll be as willing to ship a dvd to me as they did for the other guy.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6849 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 

Message 15 of 22
17 November 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
It seems for the field support site, you can now only download the audio for the familiarization course where you learn charming phrases like "Stop or I will shoot" and "You are a prisoner".

Did anyone manage to download any of the Headstart courses? I'm not in North America nor am I a US citizen so I don't think they'll be as willing to ship a dvd to me as they did for the other guy.

The availability does seem to be a bit spotty. I was able to access most of the Cantonese language guides but some of the Bengali ones weren't available. However, for most learners, the basic guide would be of most use; I can't imagine anyone outside of the military wanting to know names of weapons in Javanese, for example.

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 7032 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 16 of 22
20 January 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I love GLOSS. I don't do the lessons, but having a translation and a transcript for the audio is so valuable. That's the best way to learn for me. I listen to the audio without looking at the transcript, then if there's anything I don't understand I'll go through the transcript and translation and work it out. There's another site like GLOSS called Weekly Training Events that has the same type of files that GLOSS has but they aren't the same ones. http://wte.lingnet.org/search.aspx

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version