Joined 6015 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 14
17 April 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Im writing on behalf of a new member because he fears his posts will be considered as spam or advertising. I myself have tried out this website and spoken with the owner a huge amount so I know it is worth posting.

The site: http://www.ikindalikelanguages.com/

What it is in essence is a community language project. It has 2 main parts called "Imagine" and "The labs".

Imagine is a project whereby you post mnemonics for words. It isnt very useful at the moment as there is not a huge amount of words in the database. And currently, there are only 4 available languages: French; Spanish; German; and Japanese. This will be expanded when the community wishes. Im sure with the help of this forum, this will be a very useful resource.

The Labs is possibly the most interesting part. The community can make a course and upload it to this website. The current ones are very well structured and you learn something! However, there is not a lot of courses - Thats why we need you guys.

If you can speak a language fluently - especcially if its your native - and there isnt currently a course in that language - please go to the website, register, log in and start producing a course.

Please may I ask now that no half-hearted or beginners courses are made. This should be a course covering a substantial section of the language. Preferably, a full length course.

If a course exists already, view the course and if you have any improvements please contact the author.

Hope to see you there!

TEL

1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 14
17 April 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm not particularly fond of the imagine section, but I think the labs section is great. I zoomed through the Lithuanian sections in about 20 min; and I'm fairly certain I could answer correctly all the prompts right now if I had to. And yeah, it really does need an audio option.

If each language had 100 or so of these lessons; and in addition, some review type sections, then that would be awesome.    

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6787 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 14
17 April 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Let's hope that it will be possible to use audio files in the courses. It is an interesting project.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 14
17 April 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
The thing that strikes me about the "imagine" section is that right now there's a lot of unnecessary "mnemonics" for clear cognates. Also, why is it all via English? Surely it would be better if you could propose by language pair?
Quote:
To remember that the word un caso means case you imagine...

thinking that in the case of a disaster there are many casualties

caso... case...
Who needs a mnemonic?

But the labs is quite clean and straightforward, which I heartily approve of. No silly whizzy graphics or multiple choice questions!

Edited by Cainntear on 17 April 2009 at 9:55pm

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5636 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Esperanto, English, Swedish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 5 of 14
18 April 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Hello. I am the guy who runs the site.
Thanks to TheElvenLord for the introduction. :)

Kugel and Kubelek: as for the audio files, that's totally possible and I too agree that it would be great.
The idea is that first we need to make courses in text and then if the courses prove themselves, they could be
recorded and so exported into audio.

Cainntear: I guess your point is totally valid too. To tell you the truth, when adding the first words I just made a
table where I got translations in all 4 languages and then made those associations for each of the words. I was
being too focused on quantity rather than quality and I can see how that might have been a mistake. I guess I'll
go over the list and try to remove the obvious cognates. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Edited by lyzazel on 18 April 2009 at 12:34am

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 6 of 14
18 April 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Lyzazel, I'm not a native speaker of German, or fluent for that matter, but could I use the website's template to create exercises with the grammar explanations from various grammar manuals? I haven't logged into the website yet, so I don't know if one can use the template for personal use, or if one has to upload the material on the website as one writes the course.

Essentially, I would be taking material from various grammar manuals, morphing them into a course that would be similar in style to your Lithuanian and Latin courses.   

Edited by Kugel on 18 April 2009 at 8:11pm

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5636 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Esperanto, English, Swedish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 7 of 14
18 April 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Kugel, I'm not sure I fully understand your question.
What do you mean exactly by "template": do you just want to use the HTML code of the pages or would you just
want to copy yourself what the course looks like?

If you just want to create the courses manually using the HTML code, I am afraid it might not be just as easy as
that because it would also require some extra editing of code. For example, if you want to make a question and
if you edit code on the website, you just have to write:
?Question|Answer
While if you wanted to do it manually in HTML, you would have to replace ANSWER, QUESTION and NUMBER in
here:

Everything you write and generate a page for gets instantly published on the site.

However, if you want to have the course on your site as well, the embedding option might be a solution for you.
For example, look at the bottom of the page http://labs.ikindalikelanguages.com/courses.php?id=15
You can just copy/paste the code from the "Embed this course on your site" section to your own site and the
course would appear on your site. If you are the creator of the course (in which case you would be), you could
even remove the credits and the link back if you'd want to so to your readers it wouldn't make much of a
difference.

If this is not exactly what you are looking for, please describe more specifically what you want and perhaps we
could work something out. :)
Cheers.

Edited by lyzazel on 18 April 2009 at 9:14pm

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 8 of 14
21 April 2009 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
What I was looking for is the option to not have the pages I would write be instantly published on the site; this is because of the likely possibility of errors, as I'm not a native or fluent speaker of German.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to let others have a go at creating German material on your site.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version