interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5636 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Esperanto, English, Swedish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 14
21 April 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
So you mean like a preview tool?
Well, you do have the editing option after it's published.

Also I could set up a page or some kind of forum where already existing courses (or, more importantly: their
authors) could get feedback from native speakers.

As for those advanced preview options, I did not want to crowd the site with options because it usually decreases
the usability and moreover I did not quite see the point of it. Even more so, taking into account that the site is so
new.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 14
24 April 2009 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Lyzazel, how useful do you think it would be if the same Lithuanian prompts were used as a sort of universal template for other languages? For instance, one could ask the same questions such as:

I love her
He loves her, but she doesn't love him.

From what I gathered, these five lessons are about the personal pronouns; and in addition, how "ne" and "tai" are enemies, and how nori doesn't like "tai." So pronouns and important verbs seems to me to be the topics stressed in these five lessons. Would it be a good idea if most language courses started this way by introducing the personal pronouns and important verbs? There will, of course, be expections, but the native speaker could easily add extra notes where necessary.

If this is a good idea, then I think the hard part would be finding willing native speakers to donate their time to correct and/or write the answers and notes for this template, which right now is 5 lessons, but who knows how large the template could get.

One could perhaps draw in the Assimil enthusiasts by using only Assimil vocab. I remember a while back trying to keep a tally on all the Hebrew words in Assimil Hebrew, but lost interest due to lack of purpose. Obviously, at this stage it wouldn't be necessary to pick and chose words if the words are merely pronouns and important verbs.    

Edited by Kugel on 24 April 2009 at 3:05am

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5636 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes

Message 11 of 14
25 April 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Kugel: I don't think this could be a very good template for other languages.

You see, the way this course progresses has to do with the structure of the Lithuanian language.

I pay special attention to verbs "have", "can" and "want" because they make up a whole category of verbs which is
conjugated differently but which can provide you a whole framework for how all other verbs are conjugated. In
other words, I want to teach to handle those really well so that I could expand to other verbs more easily.
Moreover, these verbs themselves are among the most-commonly used verbs in the language.

As for pronouns, I focus on "tai" and "to" a lot as well because it is very important to know how to handle them
correctly especially when you don't know enough vocabulary (you can replace "tai" with some words you don't
know and so communicate more effectively). I might be overusing personal pronouns (she, they) a bit, though.
And I am sure the whole structure of the course could indeed be made a lot better.

However, the thing is, languages work differently. So while it is a good idea to teach "turėti, galėti, norėti" verbs
in Lithuanian together, it wouldn't be nearly the same in, say, German, where they are "haben, koenen and
wollen" and follow totally different patterns.

As for introducing verbs and pronouns at first, I think that it is a good idea for most languages. Not for all,
anyway, and the degree of verbs and pronouns introduced should vary a lot by language.

Anyway, answering your question:
I think the idea of having a universal template isn't good at all. The best idea is to build a template for each
language separately so that the language can be taught systematically.
It might be way harder than just finding somebody to translate this template from Lithuanian to other languages
but I think that it is ultimately the most efficient way to teach a language.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 12 of 14
27 April 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
The six modals in German do indeed have different patterns; and haben is a verb that just has to be figured out by itself. But this doesn't mean one can't use verbs that are "weak"(verbs that follow the rules as opposed to the strong verbs). For instance, Girdėti, I think would be okay for the German template, because hören is a weak verb. The only little difference I remember is that Girdėti changes to Girdžiu for 1st person singular instead of just Girdiu.

By the way, how many lessons are you planning for Lithuanian?    

Edited by Kugel on 27 April 2009 at 10:19pm

Kugel
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 13 of 14
29 April 2009 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, I added one German lesson. It would be nice if a native German could comment on it.

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5636 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes

Message 14 of 14
30 April 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Quote:
By the way, how many lessons are you planning for Lithuanian?

Well, I haven't set a determinate number.
There are a lot of things to teach in the language. And I like teaching them.
So as long as people find it useful, I'd guess I'd continue my Lithuanian course for a while.

But it's too early to tell.

Quote:
Well, I added one German lesson. It would be nice if a native German could comment on it.

Excellent, I'm really glad to see it. :)

If I could make a couple of remarks about the methodology: well, if it was me, I wouldn't introduce things one
after another at once. I mean, I would introduce "have" then ask some words including that word and then I'd
introduce "hat" and then ask questions and so on. (Well, I guess I am a slow teacher). Also I, in my courses, tend
to use less grammatical terms. Grammar is not bad in and of itself but it makes it more "technical" and more for
"experienced language learners" than for rookies.

But it's you who's making it so it's of course up to you to decide how you prefer to teach it.
Again, I applaud the incentive. :)

P.S. From my (somewhat limited) knowledge of German, there is indeed no mistakes. At least in the points
presented and in the questions anyway.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version