Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5737 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 25
25 May 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
I've seen lots of inspiring vids of polyglots online but none of complete beginners so I thought I'd post one of meeeee devastating the beautiful Spanish language. :)

[Warning: I've been learning Spanish for 4months and I'm rubbish! So please forgive the quality]
You can see the vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81CI09rbJ4

I've done it for three reasons:
1. Learning a language well seems to be about taking risks and just going for it in the language you're learning. I don't want to be a private polyglot to shy and scared of speaking the language. So regardless of how good or bad I am - I'm gonna show the world. :)

2. I want to inspire people in a different way. Its great to see the polyglots online but although they're inspiring it can be a bit disheartening. Like: 'Ill never get that good'. So I thought it'd be nice for people to see that not everyone just BANG speaks fluently. To show someone right at the beginning.

3. I'd love feedback. So if you had any questions, comments, etc then I'd be very grateful. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5737 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 

Message 2 of 25
25 May 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Third reason:
I wanted to practice my speaking in some way other than repeating what Pimsleur tells me to say. :)

Eimii
Groupie
United States
Joined 5767 days ago

44 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Polish

Message 3 of 25
25 May 2009 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
You speak Spanish like I speak Spanish, except I studied it for 5 years in school and it's only been 4 months for you. :P

I admire your courage, keep it up.

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5737 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 

Message 4 of 25
25 May 2009 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much!!

I really appreciate your comments! :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6844 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 25
25 May 2009 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
First of all, I understand you perfectly. There are some pronunciation issues, especially the /r/ which sometimes is mute and sometimes more like an English /r/. I also think there was an audible /h/ in "hace" (the /h/ should always be mute).

But, hey, you've been at it for just a couple of months! I've heard worse than that from classmates after three years of studies!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 25 May 2009 at 2:38am

hypersport
United States
Joined 5816 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 

Message 6 of 25
25 May 2009 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Kudos for the effort man, just keep after it.

Hopefully you can find some native speakers to hook up with in your town, that will really accelerate everything.

Which course are you using? When I first started I got a lot out of Learning Spanish Like Crazy.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5681 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 7 of 25
25 May 2009 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I thought that you did very well for a learner of four months. You said you wanted criticism so I am going to correct you on the things that made me automatically correct it when I heard them. When you said "viaje Barcelona en febrero", I could not determine whether or not you were saying you went or you are going. I assumed since you used an "e" ending that you were using the past tense of viajar. Put more emphasis on the "e", it is accented so you would say viajé. I also noticed that you said "es muy bonito ciudad". You want to say, "es una ciudad muy bonita". Ciudad is feminine so you would say bonita. You also don't put noun modifiers before the noun. When you said no creo nada más, I assumed you wanted to say no sé nada más. Creer means to beleive or to think. Also, when you said graciás escuchar, you probably meant graciás para escuchar. These aren't all the mistakes you made, but these were the ones that stood out to me the most. I am only trying to be helpful, and over all, I think you are quite good for only a four month learner. You sound very good and I hope that you advance with good time. Good effort, and I admire your bravery to take a chance and use your skills.

By the way: Your accent (for English) is really cool. I speak English with a German accent so I am looking for something new to pick up.

Edited by sprachefin on 25 May 2009 at 4:04am

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version