cantonese.hk
Joined 6762 days ago

144 posts - 185 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Cantonese
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
30 May 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
For those learning language X, do you install the Windows XP/Vista language that you are learning?

I have found a program called Vistalizator which can change my Vista to any language I want to.

Do you find it helpful?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5737 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 15
30 May 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I've done it for my Mac and it has been helpful.

I'm beginning to understand some of how immersion works. Its like you're turning your world into its own Spaced Repetition System.

For example, its a lot harder for me to forget the word for "File" or "Search" when they're popping up in my vision so much throughout the day. It keeps words alive and everything fresh for so much longer and easier.

So I'm of the opinion the more you can convert to your new language the better. That includes the OS.

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5744 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 3 of 15
30 May 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I often change the language of my OS, but I think it isn't much useful, apart from learning computer-related
vocabulary.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6838 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 15
30 May 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I've done it and I found it quite helpful as far as the computer vocabulary is concerned (no wonders, though). I have Vista Ultimate and in this version you can change the language without any extra software.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5969 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 15
30 May 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
There are "language packs" for XP that transform an English installation into any language you may wish. Different account can have different languages. Unfortunately, LPs are distributed only to corporate users and so it's difficult to obtain one legally ( you can download it though. )

It's much easier in Linux, you just download the necessary files and don't even have to reset the PC.

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5737 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 15
31 May 2009 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
As a web developer who spends at least 8hrs on the work PC and then another 6 on the home PC having a solid grounding in PC L2 language is very useful! ;)

Also - some words are pretty universal. For example in Firefox alone I've got all these universal and useful reminders:

abrir - to open (a door, car, box, etc)
buscar - to search (for car keys, food, books)
econtrar - to find / encounter
ventana - window (office ones, house ones)
nueva - new (car, toy, Nintendo DS :) )
cerrar - to close
salir - to exit
eniviar - to send
limpiar - to clean (my flat - not!)

You get the idea. :)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 15
31 May 2009 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
You have to be very well acquainted with the software and language to benefit from it -- when you're looking for something, an unfamiliar word in an unfamiliar place is no use to anyone!

More to the point, much of it is single words, and error messages are usually very heavily (and artificially) abbreviated, so don't really teach you much at all.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6199 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 8 of 15
01 June 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I switched my Vista to Japanese using Vistalizator a little while ago. It uses a lot of loan words, so I've mostly I've just learned the word for calculator. Most of the programs I use are still in English so it hasn't made a huge difference yet.

I installed the Japanese version of Firefox one time, but I ended up having to switch back to English simply because the browser was assuming I was in Japan. When I wanted to google something like a Canadian bookstore, I couldn't find it. When I needed to join a site, it asked for Japanese address, etc. Too inconvenient. I just want the browser itself to be in Japanese, not every website I try to visit. Is there a way to get that?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version