Groupie
United Kingdom
sonsenfrancais.
Joined 5914 days ago

75 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC2

Message 1 of 6
30 May 2009 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
I have taken careful note of the 'Read Before Posting' warning, so I will try not to advertise.......

However, my passion over the last five years has been listening to and understanding French. Here is the problem. The highest European qualification in French is the DALF C2 - 'near native fluency'. But at that level, the listening comprehension exercise is no higher than a news broadcast, that's to say, a standard voice speaking slowly and clearly. 99% of all French television is way above this level.

That means that the only people who can follow French films, series, soap-operas well, are either bilingual or French.

Also, there are practically no Internet sites which help you get above the Brit A-level (18 year old) level. If you put 'French listening practice' into Google, my site - sonsenfrancais - comes third, because there's hardly anything worldwide that can help you at this level.

Now, isn't this amazing ? People learn to read French, to write it, to speak it - but never to listen to it. Despite all the excellent French films available and the fact that in Europe anyone can receive French TV (and I think in America, Canadian French TV is also available on cable)

I used to use the audio magazines like Champs-Elysees, Authentik en francais, FDLM, but they don't take you very far. Which is why I now make my own transcriptions of TV/film extracts and put them up on the Net to help others.

I'm always interested to hear of other learner's experiences in this area. Have you discovered a good way to learn to listen ? If you follow French/Canadian TV, at what sort of level are you...

Regards
sonsenfrancais
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5969 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 2 of 6
30 May 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Level C2 listening comprehension is defined as "being able to understand a wide variety of native speakers". I'm pretty confident you will be expected to do exactly that. That was the case with my CPE exam (English C2), it featured Scottish accents, etc. It should be the same for DALF exams.... unless these exams are "substandard".

My advise would be to watch a lot of films. Furthermore, TV and Radio are not always French "RP" (Is that the Parisian accent? :), only the news are. I'm probably a mere B1 in French but I do a lot of listening and it really helps. I catch a lot of what they say in films; Speaking is a greater challenge for me.

Edited by Sennin on 30 May 2009 at 10:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5891 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 6
31 May 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Holy cr*p, sonsenfrancais, your site is awesome!! Looks like a tremendous resource, many thanks for putting together.

Edited by Spanky on 31 May 2009 at 12:51am

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5700 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 4 of 6
31 May 2009 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
I watch a lot of French TV- I can only receive TV5monde, which also has a lot of programmes in Quebec French. I can understand quite well if there are subtitles in French, but these aren't always available unfortunately. At some point I will have to stop using the subtitles as a 'crutch', but I don't think I'm at that stage yet. I'd estimate my level as B1, but it is probably lower than this when it comes to speaking.

By the way, the link from your profile to your website seems to be broken. But I will definitely google it and have a look.

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5700 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 5 of 6
31 May 2009 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I just found it, and agree with Spanky- your site is amazing! I'll have to start studying harder to get myself to the 'advanced' stage that the content is aimed at.

Many thanks for posting this :-)

Isarin
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5574 days ago

34 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Japanese
Studies: Czech, Mandarin, Italian

Message 6 of 6
18 June 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for sth like this for weeks, it's a great mix.

Do you usually go through one chronique per day + the weekly exercises?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version